Weather forecasters tracking Hurricane Sandy have warned New York could be hit first by torrential rains, high winds and flooding.
But with large swathes of the US east coast in its path several states have announced mandatory evacuations of coastal areas.
With Sandy expected to make landfall Monday night.
the Mayor of New York Michael Bloomberg warned of the dangers:
“Don’t be lulled tomorrow when there’s not a lot of rain and not a lot of wind. This is a dangerous storm and I think we’re going to be ok, but if the storm should strengthen unexpectedly or change its expected path, it could do a lot of damage and you could be at risk.”
Hurricane Sandy is headed towards densely populated areas where preparations are underway to protect property and stock up on food water and batteries incase of power cuts.
Sandy has already pummelled the Caribbean but as it merges with an arctic jet stream it has all the ingredients to transform into a so-called ‘super-storm’.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > News
- 09:58 CET Jailed Chinese loggers among thousands freed in Myanmar amnesty
- 09:45 CET Landslide in Nepal kills 20 after heavy rain, toll may rise
- 09:19 CET Syrian group says Nusra abducts its leader, in blow to U.S. plan
- 09:15 CET Kuwait uncovers Islamic State network
- 09:06 CET Malaysia almost certain debris found off Madagascar is from a…
- 08:52 CET Taliban questions Afghan peace talks after leader declared dead
- 08:10 CET Insight – Independent media battle on in Putin’s Russia
- 08:00 CET Malaysia says almost certain debris discovered is from a Boeing 777