Weather forecasters tracking Hurricane Sandy have warned New York could be hit first by torrential rains, high winds and flooding.
But with large swathes of the US east coast in its path several states have announced mandatory evacuations of coastal areas.
With Sandy expected to make landfall Monday night.
the Mayor of New York Michael Bloomberg warned of the dangers:
“Don’t be lulled tomorrow when there’s not a lot of rain and not a lot of wind. This is a dangerous storm and I think we’re going to be ok, but if the storm should strengthen unexpectedly or change its expected path, it could do a lot of damage and you could be at risk.”
Hurricane Sandy is headed towards densely populated areas where preparations are underway to protect property and stock up on food water and batteries incase of power cuts.
Sandy has already pummelled the Caribbean but as it merges with an arctic jet stream it has all the ingredients to transform into a so-called ‘super-storm’.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 07:29 CET Corruption allegations over Bali Nine trial sets…
- 07:27 CET U.S.‘s Kerry, Iran’s Zarif to meet at U.N. anti-nuclear arms…
- 07:21 CET Insight – Pakistan military’s move on Karachi seen part of…
- 07:16 CET ASEAN draft statement says South China Sea land reclamation risks…
- 06:49 CET Kazakh veteran leader Nazarbayev wins new term by a landslide
- 06:48 CET Desperate Nepalis flee capital as aftershocks spread fear
- 06:14 CET U.S., Japan to unveil new defence guidelines amid China’s rise
- 23:26 CET U.S. Secretary of State Kerry to meet with Iran foreign minister…