Weather forecasters tracking Hurricane Sandy have warned New York could be hit first by torrential rains, high winds and flooding.
But with large swathes of the US east coast in its path several states have announced mandatory evacuations of coastal areas.
With Sandy expected to make landfall Monday night.
the Mayor of New York Michael Bloomberg warned of the dangers:
“Don’t be lulled tomorrow when there’s not a lot of rain and not a lot of wind. This is a dangerous storm and I think we’re going to be ok, but if the storm should strengthen unexpectedly or change its expected path, it could do a lot of damage and you could be at risk.”
Hurricane Sandy is headed towards densely populated areas where preparations are underway to protect property and stock up on food water and batteries incase of power cuts.
Sandy has already pummelled the Caribbean but as it merges with an arctic jet stream it has all the ingredients to transform into a so-called ‘super-storm’.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 4Brothers to stand-in for late Fast and Furious star Paul Walker
- 5Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 03:00 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry sinking
- 02:43 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 02:13 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.-Japan summit
- 01:57 CET U.S. calls for more investment-friendly Indian government
- 01:52 CET Graft trial of son of Senegal’s ex-president to start in June
- 01:14 CET Brazil’s leader holds wide lead six months from election – survey
- 00:09 CET Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed, eight…
- 23:19 CET Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed