The United States eastern seaboard is battening down the hatches as Hurricane Sandy is set to slam into the area.
It’s expected to reach the city of New York on Monday with forecasters predicting it could be the biggest storm to strike the mainland.
The Mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg has ordered around 375,000 people to be evacuated from low lying areas.
“Let me stress that if you don’t evacuate, you are not just putting your own life in danger, your are also endangering the lives of the first responders who may have to come in and rescue you. We hope you don’t face those kind of dire situations, but you could,” he said.
Other major cities in the hurricane’s path include Boston, Washington, Baltimore and Philadelphia.
As people made preparations New York’s transport hub – the subway, bus and train services was suspended for only the second time. Schools have also been shut.
Winds of 120 kilometres per hour are expected to create a surge leading to flooding of the coast. Hundreds of transatlantic flights have been cancelled while the US presidential contest has also been affected. Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney were forced to call off events.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Syria: UN warns of seige and starvation in Aleppo
Syria: Tens of thousands fleeing Aleppo remain stranded at Turkey border
Zuma’s legal battle latest stumble in error-filled second term
New Hampshire: Trump tipped to triumph, but everything still to play for
Spain: Princess Cristina and her husband in court, as defendants testify in fraud case
Wires > News
- 21:05 CET U.S. could limit collection of items left at Vietnam War memorial
- 20:51 CET North Korean shipping firm skirts U.N. sanctions, gets port access
- 20:48 CET EU executive to push Greece, Italy more on migration
- 20:45 CET U.N. fears for hundreds of thousands if Syria troops encircle…
- 20:39 CET Turkey summons U.S. envoy over comments on Kurdish PYD in Syria
- 20:19 CET Poland, courting NATO, plans to boost Middle East military…
- 20:02 CET Insurgents Trump and Sanders seek lift at New Hampshire primary
- 19:06 CET Exclusive – Damascus vows to recapture Aleppo from rebels