The United States eastern seaboard is battening down the hatches as Hurricane Sandy is set to slam into the area.
It’s expected to reach the city of New York on Monday with forecasters predicting it could be the biggest storm to strike the mainland.
The Mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg has ordered around 375,000 people to be evacuated from low lying areas.
“Let me stress that if you don’t evacuate, you are not just putting your own life in danger, your are also endangering the lives of the first responders who may have to come in and rescue you. We hope you don’t face those kind of dire situations, but you could,” he said.
Other major cities in the hurricane’s path include Boston, Washington, Baltimore and Philadelphia.
As people made preparations New York’s transport hub – the subway, bus and train services was suspended for only the second time. Schools have also been shut.
Winds of 120 kilometres per hour are expected to create a surge leading to flooding of the coast. Hundreds of transatlantic flights have been cancelled while the US presidential contest has also been affected. Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney were forced to call off events.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia sanctions threaten to rebound on EU
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Israeli strike kills 19 Palestinians near Gaza market
- 5India: entire village buried under massive mudslide
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
Wires > News
- 06:59 CET Some WTO members discussing customs deal without India – sources
- 05:17 CET El Salvador detains Spanish priest for smuggling cell phones into…
- 23:05 CET Drug-resistant malaria reaches Southeast Asia borders, could…
- 21:47 CET Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq-sources
- 21:07 CET Kerry presses India on global trade deal as deadline looms
- 20:14 CET Shi’ite militia hangs up 15 executed Sunnis in Iraqi square
- 19:50 CET U.S. blacklists North Korea shipping firms over arms shipments
- 18:01 CET South Korea president’s party wins vote, green light for economic…