“C’est l’hiver avant l’heure;” or ‘it is winter before it should be’, was one local person’s reaction to heavy snow falls which have hit eastern parts of France.
The cold snap brought power cuts with up to 50,000 households in the Isere region in the Alps deprived of electricity.
Authorities have issued an “Orange” warning, the second highest alert, and rescue services have been fully mobilised.
Up to 50 centimetres of snow fell in some parts making driving hazardous. An icy wind and fresh falls of snow on top of the ice only added to the dangerous conditions.
Many drivers were forced to abandon their cars while emergency services were called to clear trees from roads felled in the high winds, with gusts blowing up to 130 kilometres per hour recorded in one area.
Parts of the south of France were the worst hit by the high winds where on the riviera two people have been reported missing.
A search has been mounted for a 12-year-old boy on the island of Porquerolles. Emergency services say his bike has been found. A 26-year-old windsurfer is also missing.
In the port of Marseille the ferry Napoleon Bonaparte was damaged when strong winds broke the ship’s moorings.
The hull smashed against the dock flooding two of its watertight compartments.
Latest world news
Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
South African court paves way for Zuma to face renewed corruption charges
13 feared dead after helicopter crash near Bergen, Norway
Angry protest outside Trump rally in California
‘A new game, a final’: UEFA’s Platini makes last appeal against six-year ban
Wires > News
- 15:32 CET 11 people found dead in Norway helicopter crash
- 15:27 CET Paris police arrest 27 after overnight violence
- 15:13 CET Fire breaks out on old Russian nuclear sub, now extinguished…
- 15:10 CET Finnish NATO membership would lead to crisis with Russia -…
- 14:57 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 strikes against Islamic State – …
- 14:55 CET Syria calls local truces; U.N. condemns ‘monstrous disregard’ for…
- 14:51 CET Biden gets papal blessing for his global war on cancer
- 14:34 CET Italy struggles to house migrants in third year of mass arrivals