A surge in early voting has upped the momentum in President Barack Obama’s campaign. Opinion polls show he has a lead of 54 percent over Romney’s 39 percent among those who have already cast a ballot.
Early voting and extended voting hours are thought to benefit Democratic candidates because lower-income people, who tend to vote for the party, are more likely to work odd hours.
But aware the national polls show the election remains as close as ever Obama is leaving nothing to chance.
Friday he spent the day doing a round of interviews including appearing on MTV to talk about climate change and job opportunities to try and capture the youth vote.
Meanwhile his Republican challenger Mitt Romney was drumming up support in another swing state this time Iowa. He dismissed Obama as a shadow of his former self and a leader who wants to protect the status quo and has no plan for the weak US economy.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report
- 23:01 CET Emergency call log details horror of Orlando nightclub shooting