In the shadow of the parliament building in Madrid thousands of protesters from the indignados movement marched in protest at the governments budget plans for next year.
Deep spending cuts and tax hikes are planned in a bid to reduce the public deficit by the end of 2013.
Spain’s lower parliamentary house this week rejected amendments to the draft budget which lawmakers have to finalise before the end of the year.
“We are here to protest against the unfair budget planned by the government. A budget that is in fact a genocide. Because it means the weakest are going to suffer. The elderly, the children, the health system, education, culture. All of this is going to collapse when the government approves this ‘budget of terror’,” explained one of the demonstrators.
In Barcelona around one hundred grandparents took to the streets and attempted to enter the regional government building.
The demonstrators were involved in a face off with anti-riot police. It is reported two people were injured.
They are part of the elderly group of indignados who meet once a month to organise protests against government cuts.
Mariano Rajoy’s government has to make savings of around 150 billion euros in public spending by 2014.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Japan’s PM embarks on whirlwind European tour ahead of G7 summit
Wires > News
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack
- 07:17 CET China’s Xi says not stifling debate but wants everyone on same…
- 06:02 CET Pakistan raps Trump over vow to free doctor who helped track bin…
- 05:47 CET Murders drop sharply in El Salvador in April, police say
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves