In the shadow of the parliament building in Madrid thousands of protesters from the indignados movement marched in protest at the governments budget plans for next year.
Deep spending cuts and tax hikes are planned in a bid to reduce the public deficit by the end of 2013.
Spain’s lower parliamentary house this week rejected amendments to the draft budget which lawmakers have to finalise before the end of the year.
“We are here to protest against the unfair budget planned by the government. A budget that is in fact a genocide. Because it means the weakest are going to suffer. The elderly, the children, the health system, education, culture. All of this is going to collapse when the government approves this ‘budget of terror’,” explained one of the demonstrators.
In Barcelona around one hundred grandparents took to the streets and attempted to enter the regional government building.
The demonstrators were involved in a face off with anti-riot police. It is reported two people were injured.
They are part of the elderly group of indignados who meet once a month to organise protests against government cuts.
Mariano Rajoy’s government has to make savings of around 150 billion euros in public spending by 2014.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…