In the shadow of the parliament building in Madrid thousands of protesters from the indignados movement marched in protest at the governments budget plans for next year.
Deep spending cuts and tax hikes are planned in a bid to reduce the public deficit by the end of 2013.
Spain’s lower parliamentary house this week rejected amendments to the draft budget which lawmakers have to finalise before the end of the year.
“We are here to protest against the unfair budget planned by the government. A budget that is in fact a genocide. Because it means the weakest are going to suffer. The elderly, the children, the health system, education, culture. All of this is going to collapse when the government approves this ‘budget of terror’,” explained one of the demonstrators.
In Barcelona around one hundred grandparents took to the streets and attempted to enter the regional government building.
The demonstrators were involved in a face off with anti-riot police. It is reported two people were injured.
They are part of the elderly group of indignados who meet once a month to organise protests against government cuts.
Mariano Rajoy’s government has to make savings of around 150 billion euros in public spending by 2014.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 2Mexico says 43 missing students were definitely murdered
- 3Russia is accused of ‘financing illegal armed groups’ – Council of Europe
- 4A very academic cabinet, Tsipras government sworn-in
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:56 CET MSF in Sudan to pull out of war-torn Blue Nile, parts of Darfur -…
- 07:42 CET Survivors say Iraqi forces watched as Shi’ite militias executed 72…
- 07:39 CET In France’s suburbs, state neglect breeds resentment
- 07:32 CET Ambulance attacks open wound of Roma relations in Bulgaria
- 07:11 CET Indian PM fires top diplomat, tightens grip over policy
- 06:59 CET First officer flying AirAsia jet at time of crash – investigators
- 04:48 CET Pentagon official urges NATO to focus on innovative weapons
- 04:47 CET North Korea ‘demanded $10 billion in cash and food’ for summit…