In the shadow of the parliament building in Madrid thousands of protesters from the indignados movement marched in protest at the governments budget plans for next year.
Deep spending cuts and tax hikes are planned in a bid to reduce the public deficit by the end of 2013.
Spain’s lower parliamentary house this week rejected amendments to the draft budget which lawmakers have to finalise before the end of the year.
“We are here to protest against the unfair budget planned by the government. A budget that is in fact a genocide. Because it means the weakest are going to suffer. The elderly, the children, the health system, education, culture. All of this is going to collapse when the government approves this ‘budget of terror’,” explained one of the demonstrators.
In Barcelona around one hundred grandparents took to the streets and attempted to enter the regional government building.
The demonstrators were involved in a face off with anti-riot police. It is reported two people were injured.
They are part of the elderly group of indignados who meet once a month to organise protests against government cuts.
Mariano Rajoy’s government has to make savings of around 150 billion euros in public spending by 2014.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 3Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 4Four children among road crash dead near Troyes, France
- 5Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 05:05 CET Airports in east China face delays due to military exercises
- 04:51 CET U.S. announces arrests in border crackdown on human smuggling
- 04:46 CET Peru’s Humala lifts party activists in cabinet shake-up
- 04:44 CET Poll shows Brazil’s Rousseff would win presidential runoff
- 04:24 CET Australian Islamist returns home to surveillance, not jail
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…