One in four Spaniards are now out of work as the unemployment rate hit a record high in the third quarter.
More are expected to lose their jobs next year as additional government cutbacks kick in.
In the European Union only Greece has a higher jobless rate.
The total number of those out of work stood at just under 5.8 million – that’s 25.02 percent of the workforce. The rate was 24.6 percent in the second quarter.
For many the only hope of employment is to move abroad. Outside a Madrid job centre Carlos Quintana said: “If I were to receive an offer from abroad I would go, that’s very clear, very clear. The problem is the language.”
“So many cuts, people are suffering so much, they are even having heart attacks because they don’t have anything. Suddenly they don’t have a way to survive. So we need another policy that helps people, but every day they strangle us more,” said another unemployed man Italo Heran.
Labour reforms pushed through by Spain’s government this year have made it easier for companies to hire and fire leading many to make mass layoffs as demand remains fragile in the shrinking economy.
The official numbers follow trade unions call for a general strike for November 14. That is part of growing protests over cutbacks that many believe have done little to combat the crisis and only served to put more people out of work.
Driven to suicide
A 53-year-old man was found dead after hanging himself because he was about to lose his home, Spanish media reported.
Police in Granada confirmed the man, identified as J.M. Domingo, was due to be served with a foreclosure order on the day he killed himself, Spanish daily El Mundo reported.
Suicide rates have increased across Spain as the nation continues to feel the strain from government austerity measures and crippling unemployment.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Spanish unemployment falls again, but economic outlook is dimmer
- 2The nightmare continues for Tesco
- 3Boeing sells aviation material to Iran for first time since 1979
- 4Hungarian internet tax proposal angers net users and providers
- 5Who passed? Financial world braces for eurozone bank stress test results
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 07:48 CET South Koreans trying to launch anti-North leaflets clash with…
- 06:14 CET Coal mine accident in far west China kills 16 – Xinhua
- 05:57 CET China to shut factories during APEC to curb Beijing pollution -…
- 04:51 CET Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- 03:32 CET U.S. general says he believes North Korea can build nuclear warhead
- 02:10 CET Virginia remains identified as those of missing college student
- 01:25 CET U.S. says Palestinian-American killed by Israeli forces
- 01:17 CET Mali’s first Ebola case, a two-year-old girl, dies – officials