One in four Spaniards are now out of work as the unemployment rate hit a record high in the third quarter.
More are expected to lose their jobs next year as additional government cutbacks kick in.
In the European Union only Greece has a higher jobless rate.
The total number of those out of work stood at just under 5.8 million – that’s 25.02 percent of the workforce. The rate was 24.6 percent in the second quarter.
For many the only hope of employment is to move abroad. Outside a Madrid job centre Carlos Quintana said: “If I were to receive an offer from abroad I would go, that’s very clear, very clear. The problem is the language.”
“So many cuts, people are suffering so much, they are even having heart attacks because they don’t have anything. Suddenly they don’t have a way to survive. So we need another policy that helps people, but every day they strangle us more,” said another unemployed man Italo Heran.
Labour reforms pushed through by Spain’s government this year have made it easier for companies to hire and fire leading many to make mass layoffs as demand remains fragile in the shrinking economy.
The official numbers follow trade unions call for a general strike for November 14. That is part of growing protests over cutbacks that many believe have done little to combat the crisis and only served to put more people out of work.
Driven to suicide
A 53-year-old man was found dead after hanging himself because he was about to lose his home, Spanish media reported.
Police in Granada confirmed the man, identified as J.M. Domingo, was due to be served with a foreclosure order on the day he killed himself, Spanish daily El Mundo reported.
Suicide rates have increased across Spain as the nation continues to feel the strain from government austerity measures and crippling unemployment.
- 1Former Greek finance minister confirms there was a secret ‘Grexit’ plan
- 2Golden shot: China shocks the commodities market with reserves revelation
- 3Fiat Chrysler recall 1.4 million vehicles in the US over hacking fears
- 4Oil price stability on the horizon as companies cut jobs and costs
- 5Microsoft says Windows 10 is a “new era” in personal computing
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
MH370 suspected flaperon arrives for idenification at BEA, Toulouse
Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
Aung San Suu Kyi welcoms Angela Jolie to Myanmar
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Trans-Pacific Partnership talks fail to deliver regional trade deal
Wires > Business
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea
- 18:03 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians
- 16:34 CET Myanmar leader goes to disaster zones as floods batter countryside