In the United States, university students graduate with an average of 25,000 dollars of debt.
Today, half of those graduates are either unemployed or underemployed. Many are unable to pay back their loans. National student debt stands at one trillion dollars, that’s more than credit card debt.
For this generation, there is a feeling of déjà vu, of injustice. They feel that during the subprime crisis the banks got bailed out, but students who borrowed money to get a college education have been sold out.
With the presidential election just days away, euronews takes a look at what the US media has labelled “generation debt”.
- 1Shame on you Europe. Silent heroes in France’s other ‘jungle’
- 2The women who knew too much: the price to pay for whistleblowers
- 3Eileen Chubb: fighting for the victims of silence
- 4Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes
- 5My son the Jihadist – A mother speaks out
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21