The Force 2 Hurricane, Sandy, is leaving Cuba after lashing the island with torrential rain and strong winds of 183 kms per hour. Overnight coastal flood waters rose dangerously high. There are also fears of mud-slides.
As a safety measure tourists were evacuated from hotels, but in the main the local population remained calm.
The hurricane is now moving northwards at a ground speed of around 24 kms an hour and is expected to pass over the Bahamas next. Although the storm left behind a trail of devastation, and electricity supplies were interrupted, the Cuban authorities announced that no-one was hurt.
Hurricane Sandy is expected to bring tropical storm conditions along the southeastern Florida coast, the Upper Keys and Florida Bay by Friday morning.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:28 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 03:34 CET Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800
- 03:24 CET Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt say they will appeal