The Force 2 Hurricane, Sandy, is leaving Cuba after lashing the island with torrential rain and strong winds of 183 kms per hour. Overnight coastal flood waters rose dangerously high. There are also fears of mud-slides.
As a safety measure tourists were evacuated from hotels, but in the main the local population remained calm.
The hurricane is now moving northwards at a ground speed of around 24 kms an hour and is expected to pass over the Bahamas next. Although the storm left behind a trail of devastation, and electricity supplies were interrupted, the Cuban authorities announced that no-one was hurt.
Hurricane Sandy is expected to bring tropical storm conditions along the southeastern Florida coast, the Upper Keys and Florida Bay by Friday morning.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 23:52 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term