The Force 2 Hurricane, Sandy, is leaving Cuba after lashing the island with torrential rain and strong winds of 183 kms per hour. Overnight coastal flood waters rose dangerously high. There are also fears of mud-slides.
As a safety measure tourists were evacuated from hotels, but in the main the local population remained calm.
The hurricane is now moving northwards at a ground speed of around 24 kms an hour and is expected to pass over the Bahamas next. Although the storm left behind a trail of devastation, and electricity supplies were interrupted, the Cuban authorities announced that no-one was hurt.
Hurricane Sandy is expected to bring tropical storm conditions along the southeastern Florida coast, the Upper Keys and Florida Bay by Friday morning.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 2Interview: The consequences of Boris Nemtsov’s murder
- 3Female pilot jailed in Russia proclaimed a ‘hero of Ukraine’
- 4Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:36 CET Exclusive – Obama says Iran must halt key nuclear work for at…
- 00:32 CET Obama, Israel’s Netanyahu clash over Iran diplomacy
- 00:25 CET Somali-American on FBI watch list detained in Somalia: source
- 23:42 CET Cuba signals readiness to fast-track U.S. diplomatic ties
- 23:38 CET Bomb near top Cairo court house kills two; other blasts hit capital
- 23:23 CET Exclusive – Obama hopes for U.S. embassy in Cuba before April…
- 23:20 CET Exclusive – Obama defends lack of ‘Plan B’ for Obamacare court case
- 23:19 CET Exclusive – Nemtsov killing sign of worsening climate in Russia…