The Force 2 Hurricane, Sandy, is leaving Cuba after lashing the island with torrential rain and strong winds of 183 kms per hour. Overnight coastal flood waters rose dangerously high. There are also fears of mud-slides.
As a safety measure tourists were evacuated from hotels, but in the main the local population remained calm.
The hurricane is now moving northwards at a ground speed of around 24 kms an hour and is expected to pass over the Bahamas next. Although the storm left behind a trail of devastation, and electricity supplies were interrupted, the Cuban authorities announced that no-one was hurt.
Hurricane Sandy is expected to bring tropical storm conditions along the southeastern Florida coast, the Upper Keys and Florida Bay by Friday morning.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 7Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 8Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 9Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 10Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 11Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 12Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 13Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 14Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 15EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 16Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 17A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 18Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > News
- 12:46 CET Ukraine’s PM says Russia plans to block gas flows to Europe
- 12:21 CET Group of Russian soldiers crossed into Ukraine town – Ukraine…
- 11:59 CET Afghan forces battle for control of symbolic Kunduz province
- 11:43 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says new cabinet to be announced on Friday
- 11:20 CET IMF’s Lagarde put under investigation in French fraud case – source
- 11:11 CET Afghan election audit disrupted as candidate threatens to walk out
- 11:06 CET Islamic State and Syrian government committing war crimes – U.N.
- 11:00 CET Malaysia police arrest 42 foreigners after riot at export factory