The Force 2 Hurricane, Sandy, is leaving Cuba after lashing the island with torrential rain and strong winds of 183 kms per hour. Overnight coastal flood waters rose dangerously high. There are also fears of mud-slides.
As a safety measure tourists were evacuated from hotels, but in the main the local population remained calm.
The hurricane is now moving northwards at a ground speed of around 24 kms an hour and is expected to pass over the Bahamas next. Although the storm left behind a trail of devastation, and electricity supplies were interrupted, the Cuban authorities announced that no-one was hurt.
Hurricane Sandy is expected to bring tropical storm conditions along the southeastern Florida coast, the Upper Keys and Florida Bay by Friday morning.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
Iraq: Progress in fight to oust ISIL from Falluja but ‘civilians face starvation’
France PM Valls hints at tweaks to labour laws as strikes and protests go on
France holds international commemorations to mark the centenary of the Battle of Verdun
French police arrest man on low-level terror watch list
Wires > News
- 21:38 CET U.N. panel rejects press freedom watchdog accreditation request
- 21:37 CET Chile’s students clash with police as protests intensify
- 20:56 CET Protester, police officer killed in Congo election protest – U.N.
- 20:33 CET No Syria talks for 2-3 weeks, U.N. says
- 20:26 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 20:01 CET Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro football disruption
- 19:40 CET Son of Equatorial Guinea leader may face French corruption trial
- 19:21 CET Italian mayor breaks with PM’s party over lack of help for migrants