Lawyer Chen Guangcheng has received a top prize from advocacy group Human Rights First. Hollywood actor Christian Bale presented the award at a gala ceremony in New York.
Guangcheng documented forced abortions and other abuses by local authorities in China. He escaped house arrest last year and fled to the US.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 3Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 4Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 5Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Wires > News
- 10:02 CET Rights group asks Nepal to probe complaints of abuse over charter…
- 09:52 CET Truce takes hold in Aleppo, one person reported killed
- 09:46 CET Malaysia’s scandal-hit Najib seeks big win in Borneo state polls
- 09:05 CET Turkey won’t hold election after ruling party changes leader -…
- 08:52 CET China and Russia to hold anti-missile drill after U.S., South…
- 08:23 CET Bangladesh Islamist party leader to hang for war crimes
- 08:20 CET City where Soviet workers rose up stays calm in Russian crisis
- 05:14 CET Panama confirms four microcephaly cases tied to Zika