Some of the biggest names in the world of sport who have not been implicated in the recent doping scandal were in Paris to help launch next year’s race – the 100th Tour.
An animated map enhanced by picture postcard scenes of the route showed what lies ahead for the riders.
For the first time ever, the Tour will start on the island of Corsica. There will be any time trial either. The opening stage is totally flat so it will be the first time for over 40 years that a sprinter will have the opportunity to wear the coveted yellow jersey, as the world’s greatest cycling race tries to emerge out of the shadows of doping and restore its credibility.
The Tour director, Christian Prudhomme told reporters before Wednesday’s launch that cycling is changing: “A movement started a few years ago and it must go on. Everybody must work on it,” he said.
Already the 2013 race has been dubbed a Tour for climbers as the organisers unveiled a mountainous route which will take l’Alpe d’Huez’s 21 hairpins twice in the same stage and go up the gruelling Mont Ventoux.
Top climbers already mentioned as favourites include Spain’s Alberto Contador and Britain’s Chris Froome who suggested earlier this week that defending champion Bradley Wiggins may concentrate on the Giro d’Italie next year. Wiggins though gave no hint of that:
“It looks difficult in places. No prologue, no team trial so I think it is a tough tour. The Tour is never easy. There is always somebody to challenge everybody. So its going to be an interesting one.”
Alberto Contador said: “I think it is a balanced one, a Tour that will make an open race until the end. And there is going to be a beautiful race which is what in the end everybody wants.”
The last stage will start from Versailles palace gardens and take in the L’Arc de Triomphe before a dusk finish in the City of Light.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Dortmund continue Bundesliga revival as PSV stumble in the Dutch title race
- 2Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a minor
- 3Mountain bike: Polc wins Valparaiso downhill
- 4McLaren medics rule Alonso out of F1 season opener in Melbourne
- 5Fenninger turns up the heat with back-to-back wins in Bansko
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 23:07 CET CONMEBOL to back Blatter in FIFA election – source
- 23:05 CET Immobile double takes Dortmund past Dynamo in German Cup
- 22:40 CET England are not playing with fear, says Broad
- 22:10 CET Badminton lacks future ‘star’, says Indonesia’s Taufik
- 21:01 CET Barca’s Pique fined for abusing police over parking ticket
- 20:00 CET Referee East back in action after wrongful Brown dismissal
- 17:31 CET French lock Pape loses appeal against 10-week ban
- 17:19 CET UEFA to sell 46,000 Champions League final tickets to public