What was intended to be a friendly guide for labour migrants to Russia, has instead been taken as an insult. The brochure gives practical advice on dealing with authorities, such as guards and police, but workers have taken exception to the fact that the booklet represents them as work tools.
The book was published by an NGO and distributed in the Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz and Tajik languages.
Alexander Shishlov the Human Rights Ombudsman in St. Petersburg said: “When migrant workers who come here from Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and other countries are portrayed as spatulas, brushes and other tools, while all the other characters in the brochure are portrayed as people, this clearly sets people who live here against those who are visitors. And this comparison is insulting to a large degree.”
The government of Tajikistan has formally asked Russian authorities to withdraw the handbook, but despite the book having been promoted on a Russian government website, authorities have denied any connection with its publication.
Gleb Panfilov, deputy head of the Look into the Future group that published the guide in St Petersburg said he could not understand the sudden public outrage, many months after its release. He claims to have consulted workers from Tajikistan and Uzbekistan while putting the book together aiming “to help labour migrants learn about their rights and avoid getting into trouble in this city”.
Activists say the book is another example of discrimination against the impoverished, mostly Muslim migrants who move to Russia and take on low-skilled work. The immigrants, many of whom have dark skins, have been the targets of hate crime in recent years.
This reached a peak in 2008 when 115 immigrants were killed and nearly 500 wounded, according to an independent watchdog. A police crackdown on neo-Nazi groups has helped to reduce racially motivated crimes, but numbers are said to be still high.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Pilot dies after Russian Army Games air display goes wrong
Missing MH370: piece of twisted metal found on Reunion island
Doping allegations involving 800 blood tests rock world of athletics
Wires > News
- 17:11 CET Germany’s Merkel has chance of absolute majority, poll shows
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…
- 14:21 CET Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777