Crowds of angry protestors have surrounded the Parliament building in the centre of Madrid, where politicians are meeting to thrash out next year’s budget plan.
The popular protest was assembled via social media. A huge banner was unfurled, calling for the government to resign.
Others left handwritten signs calling for more protests. All of this was watched closely by the police.
Among the demonstrators was Alberto Garzon from the United Left Party. “This is not a conflict between nations,” he said, “it is a conflict between rich and poor. Poor people in Germany are being affected in the same way as poor people in Spain, Greece and Portugal.”
And while the protestors gather outside, inside the politicians are debating next year’s spending cuts.
The government of Mariano Rajoy is battling to reduce its deficit from 8.9 percent of GDP last year to 6.3 percent in 2012 and 4.5 percent next year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 19:49 CET Saudi Arabia says Islamic State ordered attack on Shi’ites in…
- 19:46 CET U.N. to miss December 1 Ebola target due to rising Sierra Leone…
- 19:39 CET Suspected Boko Haram militants attack Nigerian border town
- 19:28 CET Women City centres bring hope to El Salvador’s abused women
- 19:15 CET Hagel resigns as U.S. defence secretary
- 18:27 CET Turkey, U.S. ease strains on Islamic State but differences remain
- 18:23 CET ‘Handful’ of Libyan troops claim asylum in UK after training -…
- 18:11 CET Britain says it is reviewing arms exports to Israel again