Crowds of angry protestors have surrounded the Parliament building in the centre of Madrid, where politicians are meeting to thrash out next year’s budget plan.
The popular protest was assembled via social media. A huge banner was unfurled, calling for the government to resign.
Others left handwritten signs calling for more protests. All of this was watched closely by the police.
Among the demonstrators was Alberto Garzon from the United Left Party. “This is not a conflict between nations,” he said, “it is a conflict between rich and poor. Poor people in Germany are being affected in the same way as poor people in Spain, Greece and Portugal.”
And while the protestors gather outside, inside the politicians are debating next year’s spending cuts.
The government of Mariano Rajoy is battling to reduce its deficit from 8.9 percent of GDP last year to 6.3 percent in 2012 and 4.5 percent next year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student
- 22:28 CET EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 22:19 CET France names ex-finance minister Moscovici as EU commissioner…
- 22:10 CET Sierra Leone’s top Ebola doctor dies from virus
- 21:06 CET Romania’s leftist PM launches candidacy in presidential election
- 20:17 CET Iraq’s Kurds have right to sell oil while squeezed by Baghdad – MP
- 20:11 CET American opinion of Arabs, Muslims is getting worse- poll