Spain’s budget minister has presented an optimistic assessment of the country’s economy, putting on a brave face over the latest gloomy figures.
Cristóbal Montoro was speaking to parliament where he outlined the budget for 2013 to MPs.
News that the Spanish economy has shrunk again has added to pressure on the government to seek more European aid.
The minister predicted that new measures would make a difference.
“It’s possible that next year will be the last year of economic recession in Spain, the year when we start creating jobs,” he said.
He also had this message for the opposition: “Stop saying something that is not true, that this budget is not socially oriented. On the contrary, it’s the most socially oriented ever under Spanish democracy.”
The right-wing government of Mariano Rajoy has launched a vast austerity programme to try to slash the budget deficit over three years.
The opposition strongly contested the minister’s interpretation.
“I would say that Montoro’s speech was a big lie, it was full of lies, it was a very deceitful budget, because the macroeconomic picture is being manipulated, it’s not true. Nobody believes it,” said Soraya Rodríguez of the Socialist Party.
After the budget speech there were quick signs of an angry reaction, in a country that has been in recession since late last year and where one in four is unemployed.
Protesters gathered near the parliament in Madrid, where security has been tightened in the aftermath of recent violence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 3[Live] Ukraine: Lavrov announces roadmap to de-escalate situation in Eastern regions
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 17:29 CET Iraqi Kurds entrench political faultline with Syria border ditch
- 17:11 CET Saudi activist sentenced to 15 years in jail for protests: lawyer
- 16:52 CET Burundi orders U.N. security adviser out after violence warning
- 16:49 CET Runaway spy Snowden is surprise guest on Putin phone-in
- 16:33 CET Exclusive – Syria submits more ‘detailed’ list of chemical weapons
- 16:24 CET Tunisian diplomat kidnapped in Libyan capital
- 16:05 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 15:56 CET Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed – IAEA