A suicide bomber blew up his car at a police checkpoint in Russia’s North Caucasus region on Tuesday, killing a policeman and severely wounding three others.
The checkpoint on the internal border between the provinces of North Ossetia and Ingushetia was totally destroyed.
Moscow has been struggling with an Islamist insurgency which began during its two devastating wars against separatists from 1994 to 2000 in Chechnya, and the region is plagued by near daily violence.
Last week President Vladimir Putin told security forces they must ensure the safety of major events in Russia, including the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics to be held in nearby Sochi.
Wires > News
- 02:00 CET Singapore set to pick military helicopters as arms spending rises
- 01:31 CET Australia PM Turnbull confirms will call election for July 2
- 01:15 CET Brazil prosecutor asks Supreme Court to investigate Lula
- 00:01 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system