Spanish newspapers see the regional election victory in Galicia as giving a breathing space to Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, his centre right People’s Party and his austerity drive.
In the Basque country however, wins for nationalist parties including the Basque Nationalist Party PNV could cause headaches for the government.
The regional votes came on the heels of massive demonstrations against tax hikes and public services cuts, and polls showing the prime minister losing support.
One student said “In the PNV there are pro-independence and not pro-independence people. Perhaps there is a minority group that advocate independence. I’m pro-independence but I think it is not the right time, we are in crisis and it is not the moment for independence.”
The tension is not expected to ease, as nationalist parties are expected to win another regional vote in Catalonia on 25 November.
Socialist MP and former justice minister Juan Fernando López Aguilar, acknowledged the party’s crisis: “We are facing a very serious situation, the worst the socialists we have experienced in 35 years, and is good to recognize it, to say it out loud so the Spanish people know that we are aware of it.”
The results have thrown Spain’s socialist party into disarray in both Galicia and the Basque Country and they may now be entering a leadership war as different factions criticise the opposition’s policies.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 4Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 5Brothers to stand-in for late Fast and Furious star Paul Walker
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 05:20 CET China releases blogger on bail, jails another amid rumour crackdown
- 03:49 CET Dengue outbreak at Australian detention centre sparks fresh…
- 03:00 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry sinking
- 02:43 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 02:13 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.-Japan summit
- 01:57 CET U.S. calls for more investment-friendly Indian government
- 01:52 CET Graft trial of son of Senegal’s ex-president to start in June
- 01:14 CET Brazil’s leader holds wide lead six months from election – survey