Spanish newspapers see the regional election victory in Galicia as giving a breathing space to Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, his centre right People’s Party and his austerity drive.
In the Basque country however, wins for nationalist parties including the Basque Nationalist Party PNV could cause headaches for the government.
The regional votes came on the heels of massive demonstrations against tax hikes and public services cuts, and polls showing the prime minister losing support.
One student said “In the PNV there are pro-independence and not pro-independence people. Perhaps there is a minority group that advocate independence. I’m pro-independence but I think it is not the right time, we are in crisis and it is not the moment for independence.”
The tension is not expected to ease, as nationalist parties are expected to win another regional vote in Catalonia on 25 November.
Socialist MP and former justice minister Juan Fernando López Aguilar, acknowledged the party’s crisis: “We are facing a very serious situation, the worst the socialists we have experienced in 35 years, and is good to recognize it, to say it out loud so the Spanish people know that we are aware of it.”
The results have thrown Spain’s socialist party into disarray in both Galicia and the Basque Country and they may now be entering a leadership war as different factions criticise the opposition’s policies.
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 3‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 4Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 5Saudi-led airstrikes kill at least 80 in Yemen
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 15:49 CET U.S. defence aid to Israel to rise over Iran deal fears – sources
- 15:14 CET EU takes Germany to court over airport security controls
- 14:58 CET Pope visit preparations promote unity in multi-faith Bosnia
- 14:55 CET EU lawmakers back arbitration in U.S. trade deal
- 14:42 CET Putin classifies information on deaths of Russian troops on…
- 14:33 CET Top Islamic State figure makes appearance in Ramadi – residents…
- 14:24 CET China land reclamation in South China Sea creates ‘new facts’ -…
- 14:22 CET Pressure mounts on Blatter as FIFA scandal widens