Lawyers will appeal against the six-year jail term handed to seven officials in Italy for failing to give adequate warning of a 2009 earthquake.
A court in L’Aquila said six scientists and an ex-civil servant were guilty manslaughter over their incorrect predictions on the likelihood of a quake striking the city.Three hundred and nine people died in the disaster.
Alessandra Stefano, a defence lawyer, said the sentence made no sense at all.
“I am still of the opinion that no elements of responsiblity have been proved,” she said.
The seven will remain free pending the result of their appeal. They have also been banned from public office for life.
Bernardo de Bernardinis, the civil protection officer in the dock, said he had done all he could based on his understanding of the situation.
“I could not do anything else,” he said.
Claudia Carosi, who lost her sister in the disaster, disagreed.
“Now they will start to take their responsibilities a bit more seriously. We only wanted this because we do not want a vendetta,” she told reporters outside court.
“Obviously my sister will never return, she won’t return today nor ever again.”
Relatives of the victims welcomed the sentence, but the country’s scientific community described the case as “putting science itself on trial.”
- 1German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz
- 2“I hope I never return to a locked door”: Pilot who foresaw Germanwings crash
- 3Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 4Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 5Istanbul: Police negotiate with gunmen who’ve taken prosecutor hostage
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 3Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 14Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 06:08 CET Death toll rises to 54 after Russian trawler sinks in Western…
- 05:58 CET Hong Kong court adjourns British banker murder case for five weeks
- 02:09 CET From brides to battlefield, women taking up new roles with Islamic…
- 01:08 CET Southeast Asia faces increasingly intense climate events – analysts
- 00:32 CET Oil platform fire toll in Gulf of Mexico: 4 dead, 302 evacuated
- 23:47 CET Islamic State seizes vast Damascus refugee camp
- 22:39 CET Canada says cost of anti-ISIS mission to be least C$528 million
- 22:22 CET Chad says hundreds of Boko Haram militants, nine soldiers killed…