Scores of families are fleeing fighting between pro-government militia and armed groups in Bani Walid in Libya, once a stronghold for Muammar Gaddafi.
Cars loaded with belongings can be seen blocking the roads leading out of the town.
At least 26 people have been killed and hundreds injured. As they leave, the cars are checked by government troops. People here are taking no more chances.
“People are being killed,” said one man at the roadside, “houses are being flattened, most of the electricity is cut off. It’s tragic. All these families fleeing Bani Walid gives you and idea of just how dangerous it is.”
Pro-government militia, many from the nearby rival town of Misrata, have been shelling Bani Walid for days.
Concern over the situation has filtered through to the Libyan capital. In Tripoli, a crowd of hundreds gathered at the gates of Libya’s parliament building to demand that the attack on Bani Walid be ended.
The protestors, who were unarmed, forced their way past security guards. Cars carrying elected members of the General National Congress nudged their way through the crowd.
Latest world news
Ex-Chad president sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido ‘very well’ after kidnap ordeal ends
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Wires > News
- 13:45 CET Philippine troops kill 54 Islamist militants in the south
- 13:44 CET Germany plans draft law on nuclear storage costs in August
- 13:43 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister criticizes Petrobras probe -…
- 13:36 CET China protests to Indonesia over seizure of fishing vessel
- 13:33 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 13:33 CET Suspected al Shabaab fighters kill 3 village elders in Kenya -…
- 13:32 CET German police hold flights at Cologne-Bonn airport over security…
- 13:27 CET Chinese worker wounded in Pakistani bomb attack