Scores of families are fleeing fighting between pro-government militia and armed groups in Bani Walid in Libya, once a stronghold for Muammar Gaddafi.
Cars loaded with belongings can be seen blocking the roads leading out of the town.
At least 26 people have been killed and hundreds injured. As they leave, the cars are checked by government troops. People here are taking no more chances.
“People are being killed,” said one man at the roadside, “houses are being flattened, most of the electricity is cut off. It’s tragic. All these families fleeing Bani Walid gives you and idea of just how dangerous it is.”
Pro-government militia, many from the nearby rival town of Misrata, have been shelling Bani Walid for days.
Concern over the situation has filtered through to the Libyan capital. In Tripoli, a crowd of hundreds gathered at the gates of Libya’s parliament building to demand that the attack on Bani Walid be ended.
The protestors, who were unarmed, forced their way past security guards. Cars carrying elected members of the General National Congress nudged their way through the crowd.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 05:15 CET Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- 03:57 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 22, injures 270, shoots flames high into…
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route