Cycling legend Lance Armstrong remained cool for the cameras at a charity event in Austin Texas on Sunday, not betraying any particular concern about the immense doping scandal that surrounds him.
The United States Anti-Doping Agency has already unilaterally stripped him of his titles and banned him from racing for life, for his part in what it called the most sophisticated doping programme that sport has ever seen.
Armstrong has been one of the most successful cyclists of all time, surviving testicular cancer at age 28 he went on to win the Tour de France a record seven times between 1999 and 2005.
He has always denied allegations that he used performance-enhancing drugs, but now, aged 41, he says he does not have the stomach to go fight the claims any more.
Armstrong’s net worth has been estimated at around $125 million (96 million euros). According to Forbes magazine, he earns more than $10 million a year in speaking fees and endorsement deals.
Corporate sponsors including Nike, Trek and Budweiser have already cut ties with the disgraced sporting hero.
Rumours began to circulate in 2005, today the USADA report leaves little room for doubt, including as it does eyewitness, documentary, first-hand, scientific, direct and circumstantial evidence.
Eleven of Armstrong’s former team-mates have spoken up, but Armstrong has refused to speak out. He now stands accused of organising the doping ring, trafficking drugs and coercing others into doping.
Team doctors Michele Ferrari and Garcia del Moral have also received lifetime bans for their part in the conspiracy, the report said.
Armstrong is now retired and in the wake of the revelations has stepped down from his charity Livestrong.
The evidence is said to show prolonged use of EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone, corticosteroids, human growth hormone and masking agents.
Armstrong’s lawyer Tim Herman has denounced the report as a “one-sided hacket job” and reiterated that Armstrong passed more than 500 doping tests during his career.
Cycling legend Lance Armstrong once dreamed of entering the annuals of history for his sporting achievements. Now, he is likely to do so – but only for his spectacular fall from grace.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Hungarian ‘Freedom Train’ stationary for a second day
Syria’s Assad may share power with ‘healthy’ opposition – Putin
Insecurity greets returning Afghan refugees after exile in Pakistan
Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
Bangkok’s Erawan Shine restored to public view after bomb blast
Wires > News
- 13:10 CET Ahead of Greek election, Syriza’s ‘lost generation’ deserts Tsipras
- 12:55 CET Head of U.N.‘s refugee agency to step down this year
- 11:49 CET Drowned Syrian toddlers and their mother buried in Kobani
- 11:36 CET Islamic State blows up tower tombs in Syria’s Palmyra -…
- 11:32 CET Turkey halts more migrant boats as toddler deaths fail to stop…
- 11:17 CET Migrants hold out on Hungarian ‘freedom train’; Orban says…
- 11:16 CET Russia says Syria’s Assad ready to share power
- 10:48 CET Thai probe hits hurdle; no bomb match to suspects’ DNA