Lance Armstrong’s life ban from cycling, imposed by the United States Anti-Doping Agency, has been upheld by the International Cycling Union – which also confirmed that he would be stripped of his seven Tour de France titles. Pat McQuaid also announced that the organisation would be looking at ways of ensuring that no similar doping scam could ever go undetected in the future.
Pat McQuaid, president of the International Cycling Union said: “The UCI wishes to begin the journey on the path forward today by confirming that it will not appeal to the court of arbitration for sport and that it will recognise the sanctions that USADA has imposed. UCI will ban Lance Armstrong from cycling and the UCI will strip him of his seven Tour de France titles. Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling.”
The ruling could also have financial consequences. He could have to return money paid under various sponsorship deals and could also have to return $1 million which he accepted from the British weekly, The Sunday Times in an out-of-court settlement over doping allegations.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Armed police to patrol French beaches
Wires > News
- 11:39 CET Taiwan Navy fires missile in error as China’s Communists mark…
- 11:33 CET Syrian warplane crashes near Damascus, rebels seize pilot -…
- 11:22 CET Czech president urges referendum on EU, NATO, says would back…
- 11:17 CET A Brexit warning from Switzerland: beware votes on free movement
- 11:16 CET Six killed in gun attack on two buses in Kenya’s Mandera
- 11:15 CET Iran’s Rouhani accuses West of exploiting Sunni-Shi’ite rift, raps…
- 10:59 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 10:34 CET Vietnamese scoff at bike-ban plan as motorcycles engulf capital