Protests erupted across Lebanon on Friday night following the murder of the head of internal intelligence Wissam-al-Hassan in a huge car bomb.
He was killed along with seven others in central Beirut.
As news spread of his killing, groups of demonstrators blocked roads, burned tyres and attacked passing cars in several towns including the capital.
Hassan had been investigating the 2005 assassination of former prime minister Rafik al-Hariri, a probe which implicated Syria and the militant Islamist group Hezbollah.
Hariri’s son Ahmad blamed Damascus for the bomb attack and also called for the current Lebanese prime minister to step down.
‘‘We hold Prime Minister Najib Mikati personally responsible for the blood of the martyred General Hassan and the blood of the innocent people killed in Ashrafiyeh.”
Friday’s blast happened in a predominantly Christian area, as parents were picking up their children from school.
More than 80 people were wounded.
If the Syrian regime is implicated in the attack, it will add to concerns that the 20-month uprising is spilling into neighbouring countries.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:05 CET Former Australian PM Gough Whitlam dies at 98
- 23:49 CET South Sudan sexual violence ‘rampant,’ two-year-old raped – U.N.
- 23:09 CET Polish ex-minister quoted saying Putin offered to divide Ukraine…
- 22:53 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 21:58 CET Israelis quietly expand enclave in Palestinian district of…
- 21:19 CET Iran arrests suspects after acid attacks on women in Isfahan
- 21:09 CET Al Qaeda attacks kill at least 33 people in Yemen
- 21:07 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights