Sylvia Kristel, star of the erotic French film “Emmanuelle” that symbolised the sexual revolution of the 1970s, has died aged 60.
The movie opened new boundaries for soft-porn and a number of sequels followed. The Dutch actress said she thought Emmanuelle’s worldwide success helped change censorship laws.
In an interview in 1996 she said she herself owed much to the film.
“I cannot escape that image, why? 350 million saw it, and loved it. How can I say then that I despise the part if it was such a success and so appreciated? No, I’m very grateful for that,” she said.
Kristel had a strict religious upbringing which she escaped to become a model.
She won beauty competitions and was chosen for Emmanuelle almost by accident.
Later her career declined as she fought drink and drug problems.
A heavy smoker since childhood, she died after a ten-year battle with cancer.
Image: Nationaal Archief, Den Haag, Rijksfotoarchief: Fotocollectie Algemeen Nederlands Fotopersbureau (ANEFO)
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 14Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 09:21 CET Thai junta says will help kick-start stalled Dawei talks
- 09:17 CET Groundhog Day in Bulgaria as new election looms
- 08:39 CET North Korea, already under UN sanctions, prepares launch site for…
- 07:55 CET Gulf Arabs demand return of state authority in Yemen
- 06:04 CET Exclusive – U.S. nears solution for safe disposal of Ebola waste
- 05:35 CET Mexico arrests drug lord Beltran Leyva posing as businessman
- 03:58 CET Palestinians draft U.N. resolution on ending Israel occupation
- 03:06 CET Greenland votes to hold parliamentary election in November