Sylvia Kristel, star of the erotic French film “Emmanuelle” that symbolised the sexual revolution of the 1970s, has died aged 60.
The movie opened new boundaries for soft-porn and a number of sequels followed. The Dutch actress said she thought Emmanuelle’s worldwide success helped change censorship laws.
In an interview in 1996 she said she herself owed much to the film.
“I cannot escape that image, why? 350 million saw it, and loved it. How can I say then that I despise the part if it was such a success and so appreciated? No, I’m very grateful for that,” she said.
Kristel had a strict religious upbringing which she escaped to become a model.
She won beauty competitions and was chosen for Emmanuelle almost by accident.
Later her career declined as she fought drink and drug problems.
A heavy smoker since childhood, she died after a ten-year battle with cancer.
Image: Nationaal Archief, Den Haag, Rijksfotoarchief: Fotocollectie Algemeen Nederlands Fotopersbureau (ANEFO)
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…