Sylvia Kristel, star of the erotic French film “Emmanuelle” that symbolised the sexual revolution of the 1970s, has died aged 60.
The movie opened new boundaries for soft-porn and a number of sequels followed. The Dutch actress said she thought Emmanuelle’s worldwide success helped change censorship laws.
In an interview in 1996 she said she herself owed much to the film.
“I cannot escape that image, why? 350 million saw it, and loved it. How can I say then that I despise the part if it was such a success and so appreciated? No, I’m very grateful for that,” she said.
Kristel had a strict religious upbringing which she escaped to become a model.
She won beauty competitions and was chosen for Emmanuelle almost by accident.
Later her career declined as she fought drink and drug problems.
A heavy smoker since childhood, she died after a ten-year battle with cancer.
Image: Nationaal Archief, Den Haag, Rijksfotoarchief: Fotocollectie Algemeen Nederlands Fotopersbureau (ANEFO)
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 11Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:34 CET Thailand’s new weapon to beat deep-south insurgency: DNA swabs
- 00:17 CET Nigerians fleeing Lake Chad in Niger say some have died from lack…
- 23:40 CET Rescuers step up hunt for bodies in quake-hit Nepal trekking…
- 22:13 CET Erdogan, Turkish Cypriot leader urge Greek Cypriots to step up…
- 22:08 CET Forces loyal to Libya’s official government claim they shot down…
- 22:01 CET EU seeks U.N. approval to seize migrant boats, Russia against…
- 21:30 CET Ukraine leader warns of worsening conflict, peace envoys more…
- 20:55 CET Turkey holds prosecutors over spy agency’s Syria-bound truck