Sylvia Kristel, star of the erotic French film “Emmanuelle” that symbolised the sexual revolution of the 1970s, has died aged 60.
The movie opened new boundaries for soft-porn and a number of sequels followed. The Dutch actress said she thought Emmanuelle’s worldwide success helped change censorship laws.
In an interview in 1996 she said she herself owed much to the film.
“I cannot escape that image, why? 350 million saw it, and loved it. How can I say then that I despise the part if it was such a success and so appreciated? No, I’m very grateful for that,” she said.
Kristel had a strict religious upbringing which she escaped to become a model.
She won beauty competitions and was chosen for Emmanuelle almost by accident.
Later her career declined as she fought drink and drug problems.
A heavy smoker since childhood, she died after a ten-year battle with cancer.
Image: Nationaal Archief, Den Haag, Rijksfotoarchief: Fotocollectie Algemeen Nederlands Fotopersbureau (ANEFO)
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Iraq ‘exhumes 470 bodies’, thought to be victims of ISIL-led massacre
- 3Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 4‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 5Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 13EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 14:14 CET After 50 years, stateless Shona still trapped in Kenya’s shadows
- 14:00 CET Mauritius president resigns
- 13:54 CET Belgium launches investigation into German and U.S. spying
- 13:53 CET Polish president-elect calls government not to make major…
- 13:39 CET Iran shares some information in nuclear probe, no breakthrough -…
- 13:17 CET Cyprus police probe Israel link in ammonium nitrate haul – media
- 13:12 CET Czech court clears ex-PM’s aide in scandal that toppled government
- 13:07 CET U.S. says China has placed mobile artillery on reclaimed island