Sylvia Kristel, star of the erotic French film “Emmanuelle” that symbolised the sexual revolution of the 1970s, has died aged 60.
The movie opened new boundaries for soft-porn and a number of sequels followed. The Dutch actress said she thought Emmanuelle’s worldwide success helped change censorship laws.
In an interview in 1996 she said she herself owed much to the film.
“I cannot escape that image, why? 350 million saw it, and loved it. How can I say then that I despise the part if it was such a success and so appreciated? No, I’m very grateful for that,” she said.
Kristel had a strict religious upbringing which she escaped to become a model.
She won beauty competitions and was chosen for Emmanuelle almost by accident.
Later her career declined as she fought drink and drug problems.
A heavy smoker since childhood, she died after a ten-year battle with cancer.
Image: Nationaal Archief, Den Haag, Rijksfotoarchief: Fotocollectie Algemeen Nederlands Fotopersbureau (ANEFO)
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Ukraine: violent clashes as parliament votes to grant more autonomy to the east
French PM Valls urges EU solidarity amid unprecedented migrant crisis
Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
Migrant Crisis Live: Calais news conference by French ministers and senior EU officials
Arrest warrants issued for two new Bangkok bombing suspects
Wires > News
- 16:34 CET U.N. climate talks begin divided, but with hope for Paris accord
- 16:22 CET Guardsman killed in protests as Ukraine MPs back more autonomy for…
- 16:15 CET Four missing, four injured in explosion at Spanish fireworks…
- 16:02 CET Greece’s ‘invisible negotiator’ may assuage bailout fears in…
- 15:49 CET Taliban say keeping leader’s death secret was a military decision
- 15:12 CET Two U.S. F-22 fighter jets arrive in Poland as part of European…
- 15:05 CET Afghan police investigate gas poisoning at girls’ school
- 14:52 CET Thousands sign petition to stop rape of low-caste Indian sisters