Thousands of students protested against education cuts on Wednesday.
On the second day of a three-day secondary school strike, University students joined in to protest against the rise in tuition fees and the reduction of scholarships.
The measures are part of the country’s austerity package designed to reduce the public deficit.
Irene a 21-year-old student said:
“It is shameful the same people have to pay for someone elses fraud. So we are here to demand that we have the right to education because every year workers pay tax for a public education and public health.”
The debt crisis has hit the young hard in Spain, where more than 50 percent of 19 to 25-year-olds out of work.
Protests continue to mount as concerns grow that the government might soon need to seek European aid to get its borrowing costs under control.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 2International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 5Mystery in the heart of Paris as cocaine stash goes missing from police HQ
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 22:40 CET African leaders agree steps to fight runaway Ebola outbreak
- 22:36 CET Obama says that after 9/11, ‘we tortured some folks’
- 21:35 CET North Korea accuses U.N. Security Council of double standards
- 20:24 CET Ten killed in clashes between Azeris, ethnic Armenians
- 19:58 CET Insight: Collateral damage – How Iran sanctions fears hurt…
- 18:14 CET Doubts surface about India’s Modi after trade deal scuppered
- 17:26 CET Ugandan court overturns anti-gay law that halted Western aid
- 17:19 CET Jailed Indian tycoon gets office to negotiate hotel sales