Thousands of students protested against education cuts on Wednesday.
On the second day of a three-day secondary school strike, University students joined in to protest against the rise in tuition fees and the reduction of scholarships.
The measures are part of the country’s austerity package designed to reduce the public deficit.
Irene a 21-year-old student said:
“It is shameful the same people have to pay for someone elses fraud. So we are here to demand that we have the right to education because every year workers pay tax for a public education and public health.”
The debt crisis has hit the young hard in Spain, where more than 50 percent of 19 to 25-year-olds out of work.
Protests continue to mount as concerns grow that the government might soon need to seek European aid to get its borrowing costs under control.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Several trapped, 1 dead, in eastern Ukraine mine blast
Russia boosts western border defence with new divisions
The plight of Syrian refugees born in Lebanon and who could become stateless
Donald Trump set for Republican nomination
EU Commission calls for Schengen zone visa-free travel for Turks
Wires > News
- 17:01 CET South Africa’s Zuma unfazed after EFF party ejected from parliament
- 16:58 CET Insight – Saudi prince makes bold challenges to kingdom’s old ways
- 16:44 CET Death toll in Kenya building collapse rises to 26
- 16:39 CET EU proposes visa-free travel for Kosovo citizens
- 16:32 CET Wildfire destroys homes in Canadian city; 80,000 ordered evacuated
- 16:16 CET Insight – How Zuma, the smiling spy, controls South Africa
- 16:06 CET Protesters burn schools in South Africa’s Limpopo province
- 15:55 CET Syria withholds aid to 900,000 people, risks new siege in Aleppo -…