16/10/12 14:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An emergency alert has been issued by authorities in the north German town of Bad Fallingbostel, after a chemical leak at a factory run by US food giant Kraft.
Employees accidentally poured acid into a tank containing sodium hydroxide solution on Monday, causing a chemical reaction. This created nitrous gases that are considered dangerous if they come into contact with the human body.
More than 1,400 people have been evacuated from the area. Kraft says nobody has been injured.
Hundreds of fire fighters are working to cool the container and avert an explosion.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Stranded on plane during Istanbul terror attacks – euronews journalist reports
Anti Brexit voters march in favour of a referendum re-run
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
Wires > News
- 09:06 CET U.S.-backed Syrian rebels clash with IS fighters in border town -…
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down