An emergency alert has been issued by authorities in the north German town of Bad Fallingbostel, after a chemical leak at a factory run by US food giant Kraft.
Employees accidentally poured acid into a tank containing sodium hydroxide solution on Monday, causing a chemical reaction. This created nitrous gases that are considered dangerous if they come into contact with the human body.
More than 1,400 people have been evacuated from the area. Kraft says nobody has been injured.
Hundreds of fire fighters are working to cool the container and avert an explosion.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 3Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 4As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake
- 00:34 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali
- 00:23 CET U.S. special forces struggle with record suicides – admiral
- 00:11 CET Gunmen kidnap Tunisian diplomat in Libya