Panama, one of the fastest growing economies in Latin America, wants to adopt the euro as legal tender to run alongside the country’s US dollar economy.
President Ricardo Martinelli made the request to German Chancellor Angela Merkel during a visit to Europe.
“Panama is a country where the currency in free circulation is the American dollar and I told the chancellor we are looking for mechanisms for the euro to become another currency of legal tender and for the euro to be accepted in the Panamanian market. We would be possibly the only country in the world to have two currencies- the euro and the dollar,” he said.
The president indicated he had every faith that the crisis in the eurozone would soon be at an end. Panama’s economy grew by 10.6 percent last year due to massive infrastructure spending.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 01:35 CET Argentina orders HSBC’s local unit to name new president
- 00:04 CET European insurers’ assets under management hit $11 trillion -…
- 00:03 CET Exclusive – China’s AIIB to offer loans with fewer strings…
- 00:02 CET China’s AIIB to offer loans with fewer strings attached – sources
- 23:49 CET Dairy prices add to recovery; auction volumes stay low
- 23:30 CET Oil retreats more than $5 on weak data, eroding 25 percent rally
- 23:08 CET Germany cautious on French idea for eurozone fiscal transfers
- 23:05 CET Yuan concerns mar China’s efforts to woo foreign property investors