Saucepans in hand thousands of people have demonstrated in Spain and Portugal this Saturday making a noise. It is part of the “Global Noise” day, a hoped-for international protest against public spending cuts.
November is increasingly being seen as the moment when Spain goes to the IMF, EU and ECB troika to ask for a full-blown rescue package like ones granted to Ireland, Portugal and Greece.
It is likely the conditions attached will be equally strict, which ordinary Spaniards fear will mean more cuts and more austerity in a country going though its second recession in three years, and with record unemployment.
The protest in Portugal was less noisy, and more musical with dozens of artists uniting in protest against the cuts and throwing a concert in the centre of Lisbon.
Popular protests there have already forced the government into a u-turn for next year, when taxes will be raised rather than more cuts imposed.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:53 CET United States, Egypt begin first strategic dialogue since 2009
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777
- 10:41 CET Grassroots mayors embody Spain’s divisions as election nears
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment