Saucepans in hand thousands of people have demonstrated in Spain and Portugal this Saturday making a noise. It is part of the “Global Noise” day, a hoped-for international protest against public spending cuts.
November is increasingly being seen as the moment when Spain goes to the IMF, EU and ECB troika to ask for a full-blown rescue package like ones granted to Ireland, Portugal and Greece.
It is likely the conditions attached will be equally strict, which ordinary Spaniards fear will mean more cuts and more austerity in a country going though its second recession in three years, and with record unemployment.
The protest in Portugal was less noisy, and more musical with dozens of artists uniting in protest against the cuts and throwing a concert in the centre of Lisbon.
Popular protests there have already forced the government into a u-turn for next year, when taxes will be raised rather than more cuts imposed.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 02:17 CET Washington state teen shooter’s family living in ‘nightmare’
- 02:06 CET Tunisians vote for new parliament, hope for full democracy
- 23:59 CET Germany’s Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform – Sunday…
- 23:00 CET Brazil’s election too close to call on eve of runoff
- 22:08 CET Egypt eyes legal restrictions, military measures after Sinai…
- 21:42 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO
- 21:36 CET Canadians flock to Parliament Hill, site of attack on soldier
- 21:24 CET Lebanon army fights gunmen in Tripoli, six soldiers killed