Saucepans in hand thousands of people have demonstrated in Spain and Portugal this Saturday making a noise. It is part of the “Global Noise” day, a hoped-for international protest against public spending cuts.
November is increasingly being seen as the moment when Spain goes to the IMF, EU and ECB troika to ask for a full-blown rescue package like ones granted to Ireland, Portugal and Greece.
It is likely the conditions attached will be equally strict, which ordinary Spaniards fear will mean more cuts and more austerity in a country going though its second recession in three years, and with record unemployment.
The protest in Portugal was less noisy, and more musical with dozens of artists uniting in protest against the cuts and throwing a concert in the centre of Lisbon.
Popular protests there have already forced the government into a u-turn for next year, when taxes will be raised rather than more cuts imposed.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 07:28 CET Dispute over Mideast nuclear arms ban torpedoes U.N. conference
- 03:47 CET Clinton emails show concern about image after Benghazi
- 03:00 CET Activists damage habitat in Seattle bay during Shell oil protests
- 01:33 CET U.N. investigates reports of executions, abuses in Mali
- 00:56 CET West, Africa trade barbs on U.N. appeal against illicit small arms
- 22:49 CET Poland’s presidential candidates neck and neck before run-off
- 22:41 CET Wounded Egyptian soldier kidnapped and killed in Sinai – sources
- 22:34 CET Iran’s Yemen-bound aid ship docks in Djibouti, WFP to deliver aid…