Italy has been shocked by this video of police seizing a ten-year-old boy at the centre of a bitter custody battle.
Officers took the boy outside his school in Cittadella, near Padua.
The footage was shot by his aunt. It has since gone viral on the Internet, and been broadcast by several top Italian television channels.
Child protection officials said they had tried to pick up the boy at his mother’s house, but she refused to allow him to be reunited with his father.
They acted on the orders of a Venice court, which recently ruled that he should be handed over.
Italy’s national police chief told the ANSA news agency that he was profoundly sorry for the way the situation was handled.
On Thursday, the boy’s mother and her supporters held a protest outside the school to voice their anger over the affair.
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 8NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 21:15 CET Around 1,200 escape from Yemen prison, including al Qaeda suspects
- 21:07 CET Fearing euro exit, thousands of Greeks rally for ‘Yes’ vote
- 20:50 CET U.S., Iran presidents issue warnings as nuclear talks extended
- 20:47 CET Romania’s opposition wins spy agency vote as Ponta government…
- 19:35 CET Three killed in car bomb in suburb west of Cairo – sources
- 19:18 CET Erdogan and Turkey move toward once-unthinkable grand coalition
- 18:40 CET Nigeria’s Buhari may not appoint ministers until September
- 18:39 CET Amid protests Nepal presents ‘illegal’ new constitution after…