Italy has been shocked by this video of police seizing a ten-year-old boy at the centre of a bitter custody battle.
Officers took the boy outside his school in Cittadella, near Padua.
The footage was shot by his aunt. It has since gone viral on the Internet, and been broadcast by several top Italian television channels.
Child protection officials said they had tried to pick up the boy at his mother’s house, but she refused to allow him to be reunited with his father.
They acted on the orders of a Venice court, which recently ruled that he should be handed over.
Italy’s national police chief told the ANSA news agency that he was profoundly sorry for the way the situation was handled.
On Thursday, the boy’s mother and her supporters held a protest outside the school to voice their anger over the affair.
Latest world news
Turkey: journalist heading to state secrets trial shot at moments before verdict
Second successful sea landing for SpaceX
Turkey won’t change anti-terror laws for EU visa-free travel – Erdogan
Cologne attacks: Algerian man acquitted of attempted sexual assault
Greece grinds to near halt in 48-hour general strike
Wires > News
- 18:35 CET Convoy of stranded residents speed through fire-ravaged Canadian…
- 18:32 CET Assailant tries to shoot prominent Turkish journalist outside court
- 18:30 CET Brazil senate committee votes for Rousseff impeachment trial
- 18:22 CET Pakistan’s tribal councils in spotlight after brutal ‘honour…
- 18:13 CET Russian firm milks chilly U.S.-Kremlin ties with ‘Little Obama‘…
- 18:01 CET Moroccan court jails brother of suspected Paris attack planner
- 17:08 CET Lawmaker in India’s Goa charged with buying, drugging and raping…
- 16:52 CET Romanian ex-president being investigated on suspicion of money…