Italy has been shocked by this video of police seizing a ten-year-old boy at the centre of a bitter custody battle.
Officers took the boy outside his school in Cittadella, near Padua.
The footage was shot by his aunt. It has since gone viral on the Internet, and been broadcast by several top Italian television channels.
Child protection officials said they had tried to pick up the boy at his mother’s house, but she refused to allow him to be reunited with his father.
They acted on the orders of a Venice court, which recently ruled that he should be handed over.
Italy’s national police chief told the ANSA news agency that he was profoundly sorry for the way the situation was handled.
On Thursday, the boy’s mother and her supporters held a protest outside the school to voice their anger over the affair.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 00:53 CET Obama administration calls on private sector to assist refugees
- 00:49 CET Woman dies, children hurt in Bahrain bomb blast – police
- 23:38 CET Trump raises questions about Bill Clinton meeting amid probe
- 23:10 CET U.S., Russia discuss Syria cooperation if Assad halts some strikes
- 22:35 CET U.S.-backed rebel group vows new attacks against IS after border…
- 22:10 CET U.S. lawmakers push for action on human rights in Bahrain
- 21:59 CET Saudi Arabia ‘alarmed and outraged’ by rights groups’ criticism
- 21:47 CET Argentina, Peru seek closer energy ties with Chile