Italy has been shocked by this video of police seizing a ten-year-old boy at the centre of a bitter custody battle.
Officers took the boy outside his school in Cittadella, near Padua.
The footage was shot by his aunt. It has since gone viral on the Internet, and been broadcast by several top Italian television channels.
Child protection officials said they had tried to pick up the boy at his mother’s house, but she refused to allow him to be reunited with his father.
They acted on the orders of a Venice court, which recently ruled that he should be handed over.
Italy’s national police chief told the ANSA news agency that he was profoundly sorry for the way the situation was handled.
On Thursday, the boy’s mother and her supporters held a protest outside the school to voice their anger over the affair.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 3A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 4French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 5Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
France blockades hit ‘all oil refineries’ as labour dispute hardens
Iraqi offensive in Fallujah causing concern over civilian safety, says UN
EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
Iran appoints hardliner Ahmad Jannati to lead powerful assembly
Obama ‘significantly concerned’ about civil liberties in Vietnam
Wires > News
- 14:50 CET New Turkish cabinet reflects Erdogan’s growing power
- 14:45 CET Insight – As fighters return from Libya, Tunisia faces growing…
- 14:43 CET Cyprus president cuts short Turkey trip after protocol row
- 14:41 CET Drop in deaths in Mediterranean is hopeful sign, migration body…
- 14:21 CET Britain investigating reports its cluster bombs used in Yemen
- 13:51 CET Philippines says Malaysian Navy detains three fishermen in South…
- 13:35 CET Italy’s 5-Star sees Rome vote paving way to government
- 13:34 CET Rome prosecutors suspect mafia of rigging exam for prison guard…