Italy has been shocked by this video of police seizing a ten-year-old boy at the centre of a bitter custody battle.
Officers took the boy outside his school in Cittadella, near Padua.
The footage was shot by his aunt. It has since gone viral on the Internet, and been broadcast by several top Italian television channels.
Child protection officials said they had tried to pick up the boy at his mother’s house, but she refused to allow him to be reunited with his father.
They acted on the orders of a Venice court, which recently ruled that he should be handed over.
Italy’s national police chief told the ANSA news agency that he was profoundly sorry for the way the situation was handled.
On Thursday, the boy’s mother and her supporters held a protest outside the school to voice their anger over the affair.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Minsk summit: Ukraine peace – a work in progress
- 2Firearms expert shot dead by 9-year-old girl
- 3Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights
- 4[As it happened] Newsday: Ukraine-Russia – Gaza ceasefire – Islamic State – US shooting
- 5Sick of the ice bucket challenge? Here are five worthy alternatives
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 7Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 8Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 9Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 10Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 11Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 12Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 13Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 14Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 15EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 16Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 17A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 18Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > News
- 00:09 CET U.S. moves prisoners from Afghanistan to Pakistan, Yemen
- 23:16 CET India’s Modi eyes breakthrough nuclear pact on Japan trip
- 23:14 CET Lebanese army shells militant positions in Syria border zone
- 23:07 CET Shambolic election campaign leaves Indonesia’s president-elect…
- 19:59 CET Libya warns United Nations of possible slide into civil war
- 19:39 CET Cameroon says kills 27 Boko Haram militants in border clashes
- 19:34 CET EU to launch mission to help Italy cope with boat migrants
- 19:08 CET Germany to decide on military aid for Iraq on Sunday – minister