The United States anti-doping agency’s (USADA) damning report on the case of Lance Armstrong and his former US Postal team continues to send shockwaves through the sport.
In the report USADA said US Postal ‘ran the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen’.
Armstrong’s former lieutenant George Hincapie, who helped his compatriot to seven Tour de France titles, and Floyd Landis, who won Tour in 2006, but lost the title after testing positive for testosterone were among 11 former former team-mates that broke the code of silence and provided evidence in USADAs investigation.
In June Dr Michele Ferrari, Armstrong’s former trainer at US Postal, was officially charged by USADA with administration and trafficking of prohibited substances and was handed a lifetime ban.
While 41-year old Armstrong continues to flatly denied doping throughout his career the accusations of the elaborate doping conspiracy have arguably cast the biggest cloud of suspicion over the entire sport to date.
After the report was released Armstrong said on twitter he was unaffected by it but in the light of the accusation and the damning testimonies of his former team-mates Armstrong now cuts a very lonely figure.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 11:36 CET Yao holding court as Beijing bids for Winter Olympics
- 11:22 CET Ad firm Dentsu wins Olympic rights in Asia for 2018-2024
- 10:59 CET Honda apologise to Stoner for Suzuka crash
- 10:58 CET Barca defender Douglas faces two-month injury layoff
- 10:09 CET China’s Sun sets sights on golden haul in Kazan
- 09:23 CET Shakhtar field midfielder despite threat of doping ban
- 09:16 CET Australia wrong to drop Haddin for third test – Ponting
- 01:30 CET Mexico fire coach Herrera after alleged punching incident