The fiesta is over. In 2013, the Spanish ministry of education will slash 60% from its contribution to Erasmus financial aid for Spanish recipients, a cut close to 21.5 million euros.
Between 2011 and 2013, the cumulated decrease will amount to 75% of the budget (47.5 million euros). In the meantime, the overall budget for education will have been cut 31%.
In 2013, each Erasmus scholarship recipient will recieve between 100 and 120€ per month from the ministry, a spokesperson said.
Two others contributors fund the Erasmus financial aid scheme. The European Union gives 133€ per month to Spanish recipients. Autonomous communities of Spain also help their students; for instance Catalonia gives local recipients 200€ a month.
Spain, with almost 36,200 recipients is the country that sends the most students in Europe. It is, however, also the country that welcomes the most Erasmus students, about 37,500 per year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani
- 19:09 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:01 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 18:50 CET Catalan leader to call independence vote despite Madrid resistance
- 18:43 CET Syrians’ plight worsens, hope for political deal fades
- 18:34 CET Mine injures peacekeeper as diplomats visit Mali’s Kidal
- 18:04 CET At least 63 killed as speeding Congo train derails – government…