11/10/12 00:34 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Red Cross in Spain has launched a first ever campaign to raise money to help the hundreds of thousands of Spaniards needing food handouts as the economic crisis deepens.
The charity is looking for donations to help 300,000 of the country’s most vulnerable with unemployment running at 25 per cent more and more people are falling into the hunger trap.
The Red Cross says since the crisis hit it has seen a dramatic rise in Spanish families seeking help including the middle class.
Jose Javier Sanchez Espinosa is from the Red Cross:
“We are specially worried for those who having lost their jobs have lost the will to live and the place they used to occupy in society.We are worried they will stop looking for work and fall into depression, which leads to exclusion.”
The TV ad used by the Red Cross runs the slogan “More people than you think need help in our country.”
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Six days on, survivors are found in collapsed Kenya building
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Wires > News
- 02:13 CET Obama, Mexican president discuss immigration, anti-drugs fight -…
- 01:59 CET Philippine fishermen favour strong president to end China’s…
- 01:34 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, US condemns Assad statement
- 00:31 CET Trump says Britain would be better off without EU – Fox News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House