11/10/12 23:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The leader of the Hezbollah movement in Lebanon has admitted that it sent a drone into Israel that was subsequently shot down by the Israeli air force.
Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah told the organisation’s al-Manar TV station that the pilotless reconnaissance plane was made in Iran.
“The resistance in Lebanon sent a sophisticated drone aircraft from Lebanon, we do not need to specify from exactly where. We flew the plane hundreds of kilometres above the sea and it breached the enemy’s high defences and entered southern Palestine. It flew over sensitive installations for tens of kilometres south until it was discovered by the enemy,” he said.
The drone was shot down on Saturday over a forest near the occupied West Bank.
The announcement from Hezbollah confirmed the Israeli Prime Minister’s earlier claim that the Iran-backed militants were responsible.
Speaking during a tour of Israel’s southern border with Egypt, Benjamin Netanyahu said they were acting with determination to defend Israeli borders: at sea; on land, and in the air where, he said, last weekend’s attempt by Hezbollah had been thwarted.
Hezbollah has launched a drone into Israel at least once before. Two years ago an Israeli warplane shot down an unmanned balloon.
Separately, Netanyahu has announced the date of Israel’s early general election for January 22.
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…