Turkish fighter planes have been scrambled to intercept a Syrian passenger aircraft suspected of carrying weapons, and have forced it to land in Ankara.
Turkey’s Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has said Turkey received intelligence that the jet’s cargo did not conform to civilian rules. Officials have been inspecting the contents at the capital’s main airport.
According to Turkish media the plane was en route from Moscow to Damascus when it entered Turkish airspace.
Reports say there were around 35 people on board.
Turkey’s government has banned Turkish airlines from flying in Syrian airspace because of the dangerous security situation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Afghanistan: Fifty dead after suicide attack during volleyball match
- 2Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 3Deadly floods in southern Morocco
- 4Femen lay bare their naked opposition to papal visit
- 5Violence erupts after policeman avoids charges over black teenager’s death
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:15 CET U.N. peacekeepers from Ukraine detained in Congo over uniforms
- 22:13 CET Stigma and isolation haunt South Korean families of convicted…
- 22:04 CET Exclusive – Poor and besieged, Myanmar’s Rakhine join Rohingya…
- 21:40 CET Cameroon army says frees 16 hostages, including Polish priest
- 21:38 CET Ministers from coalition against Islamic State to meet December 3
- 21:23 CET Argentine presidential aspirant Massa says would cut back state…
- 21:04 CET Icelandic hacker says guilty of stealing money from Wikileaks
- 21:02 CET Spanish health minister resigns in kickback scandal