Turkish fighter planes have been scrambled to intercept a Syrian passenger aircraft suspected of carrying weapons, and have forced it to land in Ankara.
Turkey’s Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has said Turkey received intelligence that the jet’s cargo did not conform to civilian rules. Officials have been inspecting the contents at the capital’s main airport.
According to Turkish media the plane was en route from Moscow to Damascus when it entered Turkish airspace.
Reports say there were around 35 people on board.
Turkey’s government has banned Turkish airlines from flying in Syrian airspace because of the dangerous security situation.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 11Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 12Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > News
- 00:48 CET Burundi votes in boycott-hit poll; blasts, gunfire heard
- 00:34 CET U.S. spy agency wiretapped two French finance ministers – Wikileaks
- 00:33 CET Car bomb in Yemeni capital hits mourners, dozens wounded
- 23:59 CET Insight – France bets on Arab Sunni states as Iran nuclear deal…
- 23:54 CET Yemeni forces launch Scud missile at Saudi Arabia – Yemen military…
- 23:42 CET ICC prosecutor pleads for U.N. Security Council to act on Darfur…
- 23:22 CET Four Israelis wounded in suspected Palestinian West Bank shooting
- 21:49 CET Israel blocks foreign activist flotilla from reaching Gaza