Italy’s prime minister Mario Monti is to give low-earners a cut in income tax.
It is a rare boost for struggling households in the eurozone’s third largest economy that has been in recession for a year.
The unexpected tax cut was balanced with a rise in VAT and a series of spending cuts in a combined package worth 11.6 billion euros in all.
Monti said: “We wanted to give a clear signal that when there are good signs of stabilisation in the national budget you can afford some moderate relief on income tax.”
Monti added that the tax break shows that his severe austerity measures were beginning to bear fruit.
Parliamentary elections are due in Italy next year.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > Business
- 16:57 CET Special Report – How Greece went bust
- 16:53 CET UK family of 12, with baby and grandparents, believed to have gone…
- 16:48 CET Islamic State attack in Egypt’s North Sinai kills 50
- 16:41 CET Insight – Islamic State weaves web of support in Gulf Arab states
- 16:31 CET Egypt security forces kill nine ‘armed men’ in Cairo suburb -…
- 16:29 CET New Channel Tunnel chaos attracts would-be stowaways
- 16:29 CET U.S., Cuba restoring diplomatic ties after 54 years
- 16:27 CET Proposed investor court might save EU-U.S. trade deal in European…