Italy’s prime minister Mario Monti is to give low-earners a cut in income tax.
It is a rare boost for struggling households in the eurozone’s third largest economy that has been in recession for a year.
The unexpected tax cut was balanced with a rise in VAT and a series of spending cuts in a combined package worth 11.6 billion euros in all.
Monti said: “We wanted to give a clear signal that when there are good signs of stabilisation in the national budget you can afford some moderate relief on income tax.”
Monti added that the tax break shows that his severe austerity measures were beginning to bear fruit.
Parliamentary elections are due in Italy next year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > Business
- 15:47 CET End of Gaza war doesn’t translate into peace
- 15:12 CET British envoy visits Libya to back elected parliament against…
- 14:50 CET Saudi Arabia detains 88 preparing “terrorist” attacks – Al Arabiya
- 14:40 CET Putin orders building hastened at new Russian spaceport
- 14:16 CET Hamas popularity surges as Palestinian rivalry flares
- 14:06 CET Yemen president dismisses government, plans fuel subsidy to calm…
- 13:59 CET Sudan closes Iranian cultural centres and expels diplomats – source
- 13:56 CET Palestinian negotiator to push statehood case with Kerry