Italy’s prime minister Mario Monti is to give low-earners a cut in income tax.
It is a rare boost for struggling households in the eurozone’s third largest economy that has been in recession for a year.
The unexpected tax cut was balanced with a rise in VAT and a series of spending cuts in a combined package worth 11.6 billion euros in all.
Monti said: “We wanted to give a clear signal that when there are good signs of stabilisation in the national budget you can afford some moderate relief on income tax.”
Monti added that the tax break shows that his severe austerity measures were beginning to bear fruit.
Parliamentary elections are due in Italy next year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 19:00 CET Canada’s Harper pledges tougher security laws after attack
- 18:36 CET Suspected Boko Haram fighters kidnap 25 girls in northeast Nigeria
- 18:32 CET Families of executed French monks say Algiers obstructing justice
- 18:28 CET Ukrainian PM warns Russia may try to disrupt Sunday’s election
- 18:01 CET Turkey’s U.S. relations show strain as Washington’s patience wears…
- 17:46 CET Tunisian policeman killed in pre-election clash with militants
- 17:21 CET Insight – Mario Draghi’s German problem
- 16:49 CET EU leaders seek climate deal, but divided over costs