Italy’s prime minister Mario Monti is to give low-earners a cut in income tax.
It is a rare boost for struggling households in the eurozone’s third largest economy that has been in recession for a year.
The unexpected tax cut was balanced with a rise in VAT and a series of spending cuts in a combined package worth 11.6 billion euros in all.
Monti said: “We wanted to give a clear signal that when there are good signs of stabilisation in the national budget you can afford some moderate relief on income tax.”
Monti added that the tax break shows that his severe austerity measures were beginning to bear fruit.
Parliamentary elections are due in Italy next year.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Wires > Business
- 05:40 CET North Korea to halt search for Japanese abductees – KCNA
- 04:13 CET Quake hits eastern Indonesia island, no casualties reported
- 03:45 CET Australian hospital refuses to release baby for detention on Nauru
- 02:24 CET After 1,000-year split, pope and Russian patriarch embrace in Cuba
- 01:02 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 00:02 CET ‘No Bashar al-Assad in the future’, says Saudi foreign minister -…
- 23:37 CET U.S. okays sale of 8 Lockheed F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan -…
- 21:53 CET Divisive politics return as India’s Modi eyes make-or-break state…