09/10/12 17:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Libya has formally challenged the right of the International Criminal Court in the Hague to try one of Muammar Gaddafi’s sons.
A two-day hearing is underway in the Netherlands to decide whether Saif al-Islam, who was a senior member of Gaddafi’s regime ,can be tried at home.
An arrest warrant for crimes against humanity was served in June 2011 by the ICC for father and son.
Ahmed Sedeq al-Gehani, Libya’s representative to the ICC, told the court that the country needed more time to organise a fair trial. Prosecutors had gathered
“considerable” evidence against the 40-year-old and officials would put in place the necessary security to hold the hearings, he said.
While Saif was captured alive towards the end of the Libyan uprising, his father was killed.
Officials have previously refused to hand him over to the International Criminal Court.
Saif’s defence lawyers say he would not receive a fair trial in Libya and claim he’s been beaten during his year-long detention.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army