Libya has formally challenged the right of the International Criminal Court in the Hague to try one of Muammar Gaddafi’s sons.
A two-day hearing is underway in the Netherlands to decide whether Saif al-Islam, who was a senior member of Gaddafi’s regime ,can be tried at home.
An arrest warrant for crimes against humanity was served in June 2011 by the ICC for father and son.
Ahmed Sedeq al-Gehani, Libya’s representative to the ICC, told the court that the country needed more time to organise a fair trial. Prosecutors had gathered
“considerable” evidence against the 40-year-old and officials would put in place the necessary security to hold the hearings, he said.
While Saif was captured alive towards the end of the Libyan uprising, his father was killed.
Officials have previously refused to hand him over to the International Criminal Court.
Saif’s defence lawyers say he would not receive a fair trial in Libya and claim he’s been beaten during his year-long detention.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Spain: NATO plane crash kills 10, injures 21
- 2Ukraine rebels pursue offensive in worst fighting since September
- 3Alexis Tsipras: Left-wing, anti-austerity and in charge of Greece
- 4Second symbolic gesture and first official visit for Tsipras
- 5Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 5US and EU officials condemn deadly rocket attacks in Mariupol
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 3Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 4Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 5German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:39 CET AirAsia crash report won’t include black box data – investigator
- 05:22 CET Herder kills himself in Inner Mongolia over land grab
- 05:11 CET Northeast U.S. braves ‘crippling’ blizzard
- 04:17 CET Fidel Castro appears to lend support to Cuba talks with U.S
- 03:46 CET Argentine president plans to dissolve spy agency after…
- 02:14 CET Eight French, two Greeks killed in NATO plane crash in Spain
- 00:10 CET Top Malian army officer survives assassination attempt in capital…
- 00:08 CET Spielberg – 70 years after Holocaust Jews still face anti-Semitism