Close
Log in
Please enter your login details

Skip to main content

Breaking News
  • In Oslo, Estonian president says he wants permanent NATO bases in Estonia (Reuters)
  • More than 1,000,000 people now displaced due to Ukraine conflict, including 814,000 in Russia, UNHCR envoy tells Reuters.
  • Fifteen Ukrainian military service personnel killed in the past 24 hours, according to a military spokesman (Reuters)
  • European Commission says to hold expert level talks with Russia on Thursday to try and solve Ukraine gas price row (Reuters)
  • Attack on army convoy in Egypt’s Sinai kills eight soldiers – security, medical sources (Reuters)
|

Libya has formally challenged the right of the International Criminal Court in the Hague to try one of Muammar Gaddafi’s sons.

A two-day hearing is underway in the Netherlands to decide whether Saif al-Islam, who was a senior member of Gaddafi’s regime ,can be tried at home.

An arrest warrant for crimes against humanity was served in June 2011 by the ICC for father and son.

Ahmed Sedeq al-Gehani, Libya’s representative to the ICC, told the court that the country needed more time to organise a fair trial. Prosecutors had gathered
“considerable” evidence against the 40-year-old and officials would put in place the necessary security to hold the hearings, he said.

While Saif was captured alive towards the end of the Libyan uprising, his father was killed.

Officials have previously refused to hand him over to the International Criminal Court.

Saif’s defence lawyers say he would not receive a fair trial in Libya and claim he’s been beaten during his year-long detention.

Copyright © 2014 euronews

More about:
|