09/10/12 17:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Libya has formally challenged the right of the International Criminal Court in the Hague to try one of Muammar Gaddafi’s sons.
A two-day hearing is underway in the Netherlands to decide whether Saif al-Islam, who was a senior member of Gaddafi’s regime ,can be tried at home.
An arrest warrant for crimes against humanity was served in June 2011 by the ICC for father and son.
Ahmed Sedeq al-Gehani, Libya’s representative to the ICC, told the court that the country needed more time to organise a fair trial. Prosecutors had gathered
“considerable” evidence against the 40-year-old and officials would put in place the necessary security to hold the hearings, he said.
While Saif was captured alive towards the end of the Libyan uprising, his father was killed.
Officials have previously refused to hand him over to the International Criminal Court.
Saif’s defence lawyers say he would not receive a fair trial in Libya and claim he’s been beaten during his year-long detention.
- 1Turkish forces attack Syrian and Kurdish positions in northern Syria
- 2Medvedev: Syria, Ukraine and the economic crisis – an exclusive interview
- 3Syria would be ‘chaos’ if Assad ousted, says Medvedev
- 4Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
- 5Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Assad says he will take back “whole country” in interview
- 3‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
- 4Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 5Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 3Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 18French language revolution in France
- 192015 | archives : euronews
- 20Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
Latest world news
Polls close in Central African Republic presidential run-off vote
Skiving worker ordered to pay 27,000 euros to Spanish employer
Women and children bear the brunt of violence in Afghanistan
Russia and US to boost cooperation to implement Syria ceasefire deal, says Kremlin
Turkish military shells Kurdish-backed positions in Syria for second day
Wires > News
- 19:53 CET Obama urges Russia to stop bombing ‘moderate’ Syria rebels
- 19:39 CET In poor, violent enclave of ´Saint Death´, Pope slams Mexico´s rich
- 19:19 CET Hariri says Lebanon will never be an ‘Iranian province’
- 18:43 CET Central Africans cast their ballots for peace
- 18:41 CET No date set for Saudi king’s visit to Russia – SPA
- 18:19 CET U.S.‘s Kerry in Albania to encourage anti-corruption measures
- 18:15 CET Czech PM says ready to protect Balkan borders in migrant crisis
- 18:03 CET Modi urged to make reality match ‘Make in India’ hype