Jubilant Hugo Chavez supporters waved flags and partied in the streets of Caracas when they heard the result of Venezuela’s presidential election.
Socialist Chavez has been re-elected for a fourth term in office in what has been described as the tightest presidential poll for the last ten years. Election officials say he came in with 54 percent of the vote.
The defeated opposition challenger Henrique Capriles was credited with 45 percent. He has conceded defeat to his rival. “I’d like to tell Chavez that I hope he will have a broad vision of the popular expression of our country today. We have a country with two visions: being a good president means working for the unity of all the people of Venezuela.”
Turnout was more than 80 percent and voting hours had to be extended at some polling stations.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > News
- 17:15 CET Bomb kills dozens in north Nigeria, gunmen open fire on crowd
- 17:13 CET Pakistan kills leader of anti-Shi’ite militants in southwest
- 17:10 CET U.S. only training 60 Syrian fighters, far below expectations
- 17:00 CET Sponsors of Colombian peace talks worry over escalation of war
- 16:38 CET Cartoonist cyber-bullied as Greek politics turn sour
- 15:49 CET Turning 18, Malala says she’ll remain ‘voice of children’
- 15:11 CET Six powers and Iran to continue nuclear talks past deadline – EU
- 15:09 CET Brazil’s Rousseff tells paper she is uncowed by opposition calls…