Georgia’s general election winner has included former AC Milan and Georgian international footballer Kakha Kaladze in his new government, as regional development minister.
Bidzina Ivanishvili’s new cabinet also includes former ambassadors as foreign and defence ministers.
The new foreign minister Maia Pandjikidze, Georgia’s former ambassador to the Netherlands, has said normalising relations with Russia will be a priority.
The unveiling of the new cabinet follows the Georgian Dream coalition’s surprise success at the polls in the ex-Soviet Republic. Some international observers are pleased.
“Very good news. The short version is that his political team was a very broad coalition. In the campaign period there is a lot of animosity between the different groups and I think overwhelmingly the people that have been chosen for the jobs are very good,” said Mark Mullen, of Transparency International’s Georgia Board.
The new government, a mixture of liberals and nationalists, will have to work with their opponent President Saakashvili, who remains in office for another year.
After weeks of often bitter election campaigning, the Georgian capital Tbilisi held a party at the weekend to celebrate the start of the wine harvest.
“I think that all the stresses are gone, and now all the Tbilisians understand that they must live together, and they can not leave without it. So Georgian wine and the “Tbilisoba” party is the best way to go together, drink, have fun and be happier than they are right now,” said Tbilisi resident Alexander Bagrationi-Davidof.
The new government will have to get down to work immediately although it will only formally take office later this month.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:03 CET Mexico captures drug lord Beltran Leyva – government source
- 01:16 CET Mexico captures drug lord Beltran Leyva – government source
- 01:08 CET Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital
- 23:39 CET Israel’s Netanyahu to Obama: Don’t allow Iran deal that leaves it…
- 23:28 CET U.S. Army drops murder charges against soldier in slaying of Iraqi…
- 23:20 CET Greenland appears headed for new election, opposition claims…
- 22:05 CET U.S. cautions Israel about settlement plans in East Jerusalem
- 21:52 CET Blasts rock Bulgarian explosives plant, casualties feared