Georgia’s general election winner has included former AC Milan and Georgian international footballer Kakha Kaladze in his new government, as regional development minister.
Bidzina Ivanishvili’s new cabinet also includes former ambassadors as foreign and defence ministers.
The new foreign minister Maia Pandjikidze, Georgia’s former ambassador to the Netherlands, has said normalising relations with Russia will be a priority.
The unveiling of the new cabinet follows the Georgian Dream coalition’s surprise success at the polls in the ex-Soviet Republic. Some international observers are pleased.
“Very good news. The short version is that his political team was a very broad coalition. In the campaign period there is a lot of animosity between the different groups and I think overwhelmingly the people that have been chosen for the jobs are very good,” said Mark Mullen, of Transparency International’s Georgia Board.
The new government, a mixture of liberals and nationalists, will have to work with their opponent President Saakashvili, who remains in office for another year.
After weeks of often bitter election campaigning, the Georgian capital Tbilisi held a party at the weekend to celebrate the start of the wine harvest.
“I think that all the stresses are gone, and now all the Tbilisians understand that they must live together, and they can not leave without it. So Georgian wine and the “Tbilisoba” party is the best way to go together, drink, have fun and be happier than they are right now,” said Tbilisi resident Alexander Bagrationi-Davidof.
The new government will have to get down to work immediately although it will only formally take office later this month.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 4Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
Mary Beard wins Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko ‘has arrived in Kyiv’ in prisoner swap with Russia
Europe throws Greece a 10.3-billion-euro lifeline
Wires > News
- 16:36 CET Italy navy says migrant boat flipped, five dead
- 16:32 CET Insight – ‘Living in Germany’: a testing time for Merkel’s migrants
- 16:29 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 16:15 CET Japan PM protests against Okinawa incident at summit with Obama
- 16:01 CET Mugabe supporters rally in Zimbabwe amid tensions over succession
- 15:59 CET Trump, aiming to offset money disadvantage, escalates Clinton…
- 15:33 CET Israeli rights group accuses military of whitewashing soldiers‘…
- 15:15 CET Merkel says more time needed on EU-Turkey visa deal