Georgia’s general election winner has included former AC Milan and Georgian international footballer Kakha Kaladze in his new government, as regional development minister.
Bidzina Ivanishvili’s new cabinet also includes former ambassadors as foreign and defence ministers.
The new foreign minister Maia Pandjikidze, Georgia’s former ambassador to the Netherlands, has said normalising relations with Russia will be a priority.
The unveiling of the new cabinet follows the Georgian Dream coalition’s surprise success at the polls in the ex-Soviet Republic. Some international observers are pleased.
“Very good news. The short version is that his political team was a very broad coalition. In the campaign period there is a lot of animosity between the different groups and I think overwhelmingly the people that have been chosen for the jobs are very good,” said Mark Mullen, of Transparency International’s Georgia Board.
The new government, a mixture of liberals and nationalists, will have to work with their opponent President Saakashvili, who remains in office for another year.
After weeks of often bitter election campaigning, the Georgian capital Tbilisi held a party at the weekend to celebrate the start of the wine harvest.
“I think that all the stresses are gone, and now all the Tbilisians understand that they must live together, and they can not leave without it. So Georgian wine and the “Tbilisoba” party is the best way to go together, drink, have fun and be happier than they are right now,” said Tbilisi resident Alexander Bagrationi-Davidof.
The new government will have to get down to work immediately although it will only formally take office later this month.
- 1We will not be moved! Resistance to China’s urban spread [PHOTOS]
- 2British probe into child sex abuse reveals 1400 suspects
- 3Netanyahu supports call for a two-state solution with Palestinians
- 4ISIL controls more than half of Syria after seizing Palmyra
- 5EU refusal to accept migrant quotas ‘unacceptable’
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 8Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 15How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 16EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 20Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 19:22 CET Two killed in grenade attack in Burundi capital
- 19:02 CET EU, ex-Soviet neighbours patch over rifts with eye on Russia
- 18:58 CET Accused arms smuggler left Tunisia for Italy before museum attack…
- 18:53 CET U.S. State Department posts first set of Hillary Clinton emails…
- 18:51 CET South Sudan government says it is in control of oil-producing…
- 18:48 CET Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi’ite mosque, Islamic State…
- 18:46 CET Insight – Islamic State expands its ‘state’
- 18:35 CET U.N. raises alarm after attack on South Sudan peacekeeping site