An angry crowd greeted the arrival in court of a man accused of murdering a five-year-old girl who went missing in Wales last week.
Mark Bridger was subjected to a volley of abuse for his appearance at Aberystwyth magistrates court.
He was remanded in custody and ordered to reappear before Caernarfon Crown Court on Wednesday.
The 46-year-old former abattoir worker is also charged with abducting April Jones and attempting to pervert the course of justice by disposing of her body.
April was last seen outside her home in Machynlleth a week ago. Specialist police teams from all over Britain have been drafted in to help with the search of the coastal area. More than 100 officers are involved in the operation.
Superintendent Ian John, Dyfed-Powys Police:
“We’re not talking about putting any end of this, we’ll put an end on this when it’s appropriate to do so, because we’re told there isn’t anything we can do. We’re committed to finding April.”
The five-year-old’s disappearance has hit a particular chord for many across Britain with thousands joining search efforts and special remembrance services.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.