An estimated 19 million Venezuelans vote in Sunday’s presidential election. The poll is seen as a critical test of Hugo Chavez’s 14-year rule.
The 58-year-old has promised to continue his self-described socialist revolution if he wins a fourth term. Most polls suggest he will but it is set to be a close battle
Chavez has been accused of being autocratic. His opponents say the ceconomy is weak, despite Venezuela being a major oil producer.
And then there is his battle with cancer which he kept hidden from the world for many months. Chavez says he’s now fully recovered.
His opponent Henrique Capriles has focused his campaign on the issues of rising crime and inflation.
He’s been more visible campaigning in many parts of the country. Some commentators think the 40-year-old could steal the election at the last moment.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 4UN on human rights in Ukraine: ‘stop lies, propaganda and inciting hatred’
- 5[Live] Ukraine: NATO reinforces Eastern Europe Defences as Pro-Russian progress in Donetsk and Kramatorsk
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 14:37 CET Egyptian court jails 119 Mursi supporters
- 14:37 CET Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, signalling compliance
- 14:35 CET Megaupload’s Dotcom, facing legal threat, launches political party
- 14:02 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 13:59 CET Yemen’s al Qaeda leader vows to attack America in new video
- 13:39 CET Russia mulls lawsuit against United States in WTO over sanctions
- 13:13 CET Nearly 300 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes – coastguard
- 12:34 CET Palestinians, Israeli police clash at Jerusalem holy site