An estimated 19 million Venezuelans vote in Sunday’s presidential election. The poll is seen as a critical test of Hugo Chavez’s 14-year rule.
The 58-year-old has promised to continue his self-described socialist revolution if he wins a fourth term. Most polls suggest he will but it is set to be a close battle
Chavez has been accused of being autocratic. His opponents say the ceconomy is weak, despite Venezuela being a major oil producer.
And then there is his battle with cancer which he kept hidden from the world for many months. Chavez says he’s now fully recovered.
His opponent Henrique Capriles has focused his campaign on the issues of rising crime and inflation.
He’s been more visible campaigning in many parts of the country. Some commentators think the 40-year-old could steal the election at the last moment.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 2Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 5Five years jail for Oscar Pistorius – but how many will he serve?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 02:02 CET Canada police talked to militant suspect, couldn’t stop attack
- 02:01 CET North Korea unexpectedly frees American Jeffrey Fowle
- 00:57 CET Chilean president’s landmark education reform passes first hurdle
- 00:07 CET Insight – In Afghan north, Taliban gains ground and courts local…
- 23:17 CET Rival Libyan PM meets Turkish envoy in first known meeting with…
- 20:49 CET Egypt sentences to death seven suspected members of Ansar Bayt…
- 19:00 CET Poland’s speaker backs down from claim Putin proposed dividing…
- 18:54 CET War heroes and activists to shape new-look Ukraine parliament