Tens of thousands of people have marched through Madrid and Barcelona denouncing further austerity measures announced by the Spanish government more than a week ago.
Officials say the country’s 2013 budget – which will see further tax hikes and public sector cuts – will help to bring down Spain’s fiscal deficit to more manageable levels. But it follows earlier cuts worth billions of euros which have hit ordinary Spaniards hard.
In Barcelona, there were marches organised by around 150 grassroots organisations and the biggest labour unions.
“They are taking away the health system. They are taking away our basic rights and that’s not fair. Those who started the fraud should pay for it,” said one protester.
Retail worker Carmen Lopez joined a similar rally in the Spanish capital Madrid.
“They are reclaiming almost all social benefits. It’s shameful that we are losing everything. We threw out Franco’s government and we’re going to do the same with this one,” said Lopez.
Next year’s budget has already been criticised by the central bank chief, who thinks the finance ministry’s forecasts for economic growth are too rosy.
The budget will see taxes hiked, public sector pay frozen for a third year and more cuts to public services.
Rumours that Spain was just days away from a full sovereign bailout were quelled last week by the economy minister.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3Netanyahu warns US Congress against Iran nuclear deal
- 4Artists hints at Monica Lewinsky scandal in Bill Clinton portrait
- 5Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 12Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 18Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 19London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 20Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:43 CET Egypt’s cabinet approves long-awaited investment law – PM
- 11:40 CET Slovenia allows same-sex couples to marry, adopt children
- 11:38 CET Palestinian leadership gathers to review ties with Israel
- 11:35 CET Former allies sue Mugabe and ZANU-PF party for breaching rules
- 11:27 CET Philippines’ Aquino promises police commandos extra resources…
- 11:18 CET Two Malaysians identified in IS beheading video from Syria
- 11:11 CET Russian security service chief says several suspects in Nemtsov…
- 11:01 CET In Gaza, demand grows for a plastic surgeon’s services