Turkey and Syria swapped some of their most violent cross-border exchanges on Saturday a day after Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan warned Damascus he would not shy away from war if provoked.
One resident of the border town of Guvecci said: “Artillery shells and mortar rounds are landing around 20 metres from the Turkish border. They are even firing at vehicles and are wounding people here.”
This is the fourth day of strikes and counter-strikes which began when shelling by Syrian forces killed five Turkish civilians further east on Wednesday.
Meanwhile on Saturday seemingly unperturbed by either the cross-border dispute or the bloody civil war which grips his country, President Bashar al-Assad made a rare public appearance.
With his military generals, the dictator laid a wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier on the 39th Anniversary of the Arab-Israeli War.
But as Syria’s leaders paid their respects to the dead from an old conflict, Turkey looks increasingly poised, and warns Damascus not to make the “fatal mistake” of provoking a new war with them.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 17:32 CET Syrian opposition coalition dissolves interim government
- 16:59 CET Italy arrests five for mass murder during boat crossing
- 16:54 CET Jokowi party claims victory in Indonesian presidential election
- 16:49 CET Striking South African unions considering latest offer
- 16:47 CET Italy parliament votes to allow arrest of Berlusconi ally
- 16:44 CET Kuwait revokes citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 16:42 CET Gunfire rings out near military base in Congo’s capital -witnesses
- 16:41 CET Colombian mine mechanics, government to seek end to 12-day strike