Turkey and Syria swapped some of their most violent cross-border exchanges on Saturday a day after Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan warned Damascus he would not shy away from war if provoked.
One resident of the border town of Guvecci said: “Artillery shells and mortar rounds are landing around 20 metres from the Turkish border. They are even firing at vehicles and are wounding people here.”
This is the fourth day of strikes and counter-strikes which began when shelling by Syrian forces killed five Turkish civilians further east on Wednesday.
Meanwhile on Saturday seemingly unperturbed by either the cross-border dispute or the bloody civil war which grips his country, President Bashar al-Assad made a rare public appearance.
With his military generals, the dictator laid a wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier on the 39th Anniversary of the Arab-Israeli War.
But as Syria’s leaders paid their respects to the dead from an old conflict, Turkey looks increasingly poised, and warns Damascus not to make the “fatal mistake” of provoking a new war with them.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Wires > News
- 14:05 CET New security at Brussels Airport causes delays, missed flights
- 14:02 CET U.S. targets Islamic State in Mosul, other cities in Iraq, Syria
- 13:59 CET Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under…
- 13:51 CET Islamic State forces kill U.S. armed forces member in Iraq
- 13:29 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 13:18 CET Fists fly as Sri Lankan MPs protest changing of the guard for…
- 13:17 CET Rebel shelling kills at least 19 in Aleppo – Observatory
- 13:07 CET Hungary plans to hold migrant quota referendum in September or…