Syrian rebels have shot down a military helicopter east of the capital Damascus, according to British based observers.
The new attack comes hours after rebels seized an air defence base nearby.
A video uploaded to social media sites purportedly shows dozens of rebels celebrating the capture of the base in the Eastern Gouta area and what they claim is a cache of surface-to-air missiles.
Also on Friday, the city of Homs, the nerve-centre for the rebellion against President Bashar al-Assad, saw the worst shelling in months, according to activists.
The neighbourhood of Khaldiyeh was apparently targeted for the first time by Syrian army warplanes.
In eastern Syria, locally-based activists say the town of Deir Ezzor saw similar air strikes on Thursday. Again unverified footage is said to show heavily damaged buildings still on fire.
More than 30,000 people have been killed during the 19 month old uprising.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 3Missouri execution of death-row inmate Michael Taylor ‘flawed’
- 4Protests mark the first anniversary of the Bangladesh clothing factory tragedy
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 03:00 CET U.S. sharply criticizes Iran’s election to U.N. committee
- 02:04 CET Obama to use Japan visit to reassure Asian allies
- 02:00 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees
- 01:26 CET Australia transport bureau says beach debris not from MH370
- 00:59 CET Pentagon dossier to detail secretive U.S. Afghan detainee policy
- 00:55 CET Ukraine revolt shows faces, but whose are the brains?
- 00:54 CET Exclusive – Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklist…
- 23:49 CET Colombia ICRC says peace may solve mystery of disappeared