05/10/12 17:20 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Syrian rebels have shot down a military helicopter east of the capital Damascus, according to British based observers.
The new attack comes hours after rebels seized an air defence base nearby.
A video uploaded to social media sites purportedly shows dozens of rebels celebrating the capture of the base in the Eastern Gouta area and what they claim is a cache of surface-to-air missiles.
Also on Friday, the city of Homs, the nerve-centre for the rebellion against President Bashar al-Assad, saw the worst shelling in months, according to activists.
The neighbourhood of Khaldiyeh was apparently targeted for the first time by Syrian army warplanes.
In eastern Syria, locally-based activists say the town of Deir Ezzor saw similar air strikes on Thursday. Again unverified footage is said to show heavily damaged buildings still on fire.
More than 30,000 people have been killed during the 19 month old uprising.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 3Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 4Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 5Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu confirms he will step down at AK Party Congress on 22 May
Latest world news
Dozens dead in air strikes on camp for internally displaced in Syria
Canada wildfires spread south, state of emergency in place
“You can’t always get what you want” – the Rolling Stones dump Trump
Police shoot-out with UK-registered car in France
Lone woman faces down neo-Nazis in Sweden
Wires > News
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 19:12 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:03 CET Acting Irish PM Kenny sets vote on re-election for Friday
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…
- 18:22 CET Protesters arrested in Uganda ahead of Museveni’s swearing-in
- 18:14 CET Militants attack Chevron platform in Niger Delta – navy spokesman