05/10/12 19:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An informal choir of more than 1,600 people have set a new world record in the Beatles’ home city of Liverpool on the 50th anniversary of the release of the band’s first hit.
They met to sing rounds of Love Me Do – where different voices sing the same melody at different times.
The achievement was confirmed by Guiness World Records.
“I am absolutely delighted. First of all because of the turnout, and the enthousiam. And the fact that we did it in the first attempt,” said Jennifer John of Liverpool’s Sense of Sound choir.
The event was one of a continuous programme this year to mark 50 years of the Beatles.
This week has also seen the DVD release of a remastered version of their 1967 film Magical Mystery Tour.
Largely improvised in the English countryside, along with the Sergeant Pepper album it marked a change of direction for the Beatles at the height of their career.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 3Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 4French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
EgyptAir crash: forensics suggest ‘explosion on board’ – Egyptian official
Greece begins evacuation of Idomeni refugee camp
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
Wires > News
- 11:38 CET Yemen university bomb kills gardener, injures two students
- 11:37 CET Key economy figures kept in new Turkish cabinet, Erdogan keeps…
- 11:36 CET Saudi court hands death sentence to man convicted of 2004 attack…
- 11:25 CET Japan sales tax, snap poll in focus as Abe prepares for G7 summit
- 11:22 CET Insight – In Iran, dividends of nuclear deal are slow to appear
- 11:15 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term “like from the old days”
- 11:10 CET Pit collapse kills at least 13 in Myanmar jade-mining district
- 10:55 CET French police break up refinery blockade in anti-reform showdown