An informal choir of more than 1,600 people have set a new world record in the Beatles’ home city of Liverpool on the 50th anniversary of the release of the band’s first hit.
They met to sing rounds of Love Me Do – where different voices sing the same melody at different times.
The achievement was confirmed by Guiness World Records.
“I am absolutely delighted. First of all because of the turnout, and the enthousiam. And the fact that we did it in the first attempt,” said Jennifer John of Liverpool’s Sense of Sound choir.
The event was one of a continuous programme this year to mark 50 years of the Beatles.
This week has also seen the DVD release of a remastered version of their 1967 film Magical Mystery Tour.
Largely improvised in the English countryside, along with the Sergeant Pepper album it marked a change of direction for the Beatles at the height of their career.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 16:00 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 15:59 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 15:19 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud
- 15:18 CET South Sudan deploys army to guard U.N. base after attack kills…
- 13:57 CET Libyan kidnappers of Tunisian diplomat demand Islamists’ release
- 13:29 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 13:25 CET Indonesia’s ex-general Prabowo edges closer to presidential race
- 13:19 CET Italy government prepares to approve tax cuts