An informal choir of more than 1,600 people have set a new world record in the Beatles’ home city of Liverpool on the 50th anniversary of the release of the band’s first hit.
They met to sing rounds of Love Me Do – where different voices sing the same melody at different times.
The achievement was confirmed by Guiness World Records.
“I am absolutely delighted. First of all because of the turnout, and the enthousiam. And the fact that we did it in the first attempt,” said Jennifer John of Liverpool’s Sense of Sound choir.
The event was one of a continuous programme this year to mark 50 years of the Beatles.
This week has also seen the DVD release of a remastered version of their 1967 film Magical Mystery Tour.
Largely improvised in the English countryside, along with the Sergeant Pepper album it marked a change of direction for the Beatles at the height of their career.
- 1German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz, as new video emerges
- 2“I hope I never return to a locked door”: Pilot who foresaw Germanwings crash
- 3Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 4Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 5Germanwings crash: Co-pilot Lubitz had ‘suicidal tendencies’
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:15 CET U.S., Cuba hold first formal talks on human rights
- 16:50 CET France’s Hollande to press ahead with reforms despite poll losses
- 16:49 CET Vatican defends appointing Chilean bishop accused of hiding abuse
- 16:45 CET United States submits formal plan for Paris climate talks
- 16:20 CET Poland says sought U.S. assurances over Guantanamo inmate
- 16:13 CET Turkish special forces enter courthouse as prosecutor held at…
- 15:52 CET EU lawmakers back plan to end overfishing in the Baltic sea
- 15:49 CET Iraqi forces drive Islamic State out of central Tikrit – PM