An informal choir of more than 1,600 people have set a new world record in the Beatles’ home city of Liverpool on the 50th anniversary of the release of the band’s first hit.
They met to sing rounds of Love Me Do – where different voices sing the same melody at different times.
The achievement was confirmed by Guiness World Records.
“I am absolutely delighted. First of all because of the turnout, and the enthousiam. And the fact that we did it in the first attempt,” said Jennifer John of Liverpool’s Sense of Sound choir.
The event was one of a continuous programme this year to mark 50 years of the Beatles.
This week has also seen the DVD release of a remastered version of their 1967 film Magical Mystery Tour.
Largely improvised in the English countryside, along with the Sergeant Pepper album it marked a change of direction for the Beatles at the height of their career.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia sanctions threaten to rebound on EU
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Israeli strike kills 19 Palestinians near Gaza market
- 5India: entire village buried under massive mudslide
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
Wires > News
- 06:59 CET Some WTO members discussing customs deal without India – sources
- 05:17 CET El Salvador detains Spanish priest for smuggling cell phones into…
- 23:05 CET Drug-resistant malaria reaches Southeast Asia borders, could…
- 21:47 CET Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq-sources
- 21:07 CET Kerry presses India on global trade deal as deadline looms
- 20:14 CET Shi’ite militia hangs up 15 executed Sunnis in Iraqi square
- 19:50 CET U.S. blacklists North Korea shipping firms over arms shipments
- 18:01 CET South Korea president’s party wins vote, green light for economic…