How do you like your honey? In northern France beekeepers can serve you up a jar in a variety of shades of blue and green.
They have not been dabbling in chemical additives, the coloured honey was a mystery to the beekeepers in the town of Ribeaubeville where over a one thousand tonnes are produced annually.
They mounted an investigation, looked closely at their production methods and of course tracked the activity of their bees.
“We looked at the hives found the phenomenon was growing, everything pointed to something in the environment,” explained Alain Frieh, President of the Union of Beekeepers of Ribeauville, Alsace
All the clues led to a nearby biogas factory to where swarms had been making regular visits and indulging in a liking for chocolate candy.
On this site waste from a Mars plant producing those bite sized colourful M&M’s is processed. The residue from the containers of the multi coloured sweet proved too tempting.
“We didn’t imagine they would come foraging for these food dyes. Now everything which might attract the bees is directly treated undercover,” said
Philippe Meinrad, Director of a Agrivalo, biogas plant.
The bees and their honey are a vital part of the economy in Alsace. One expert said although the coloured variety did taste like honey it didn’t sell. A temporary sting for the country which is one of the largest producers of honey in the EU.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Funeral of singer Demis Roussos held in Athens
- 2Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 3No more Troika talks as Greece seeks new debt deal
- 444 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 5‘Only Russia’ dangerously probes British airspace, says source
- 1Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 244 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 3Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 4Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 5‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 3No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 4Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:46 CET Egyptian court bans Hamas’ armed wing, lists as terrorist…
- 16:36 CET Australia state election bodes ill for Abbott government
- 16:22 CET Bangladesh fire kills nine people in a city market
- 16:00 CET Rocket blasts off with NASA satellite to track climate change
- 15:15 CET Bahrain revokes nationality of 72 on security grounds
- 15:02 CET Palestinians in Syria cut off from aid once more – U.N.
- 14:52 CET Italy elects senior judge Sergio Mattarella as president
- 14:45 CET Anti-euro German AfD party aims to end leadership dispute