How do you like your honey? In northern France beekeepers can serve you up a jar in a variety of shades of blue and green.
They have not been dabbling in chemical additives, the coloured honey was a mystery to the beekeepers in the town of Ribeaubeville where over a one thousand tonnes are produced annually.
They mounted an investigation, looked closely at their production methods and of course tracked the activity of their bees.
“We looked at the hives found the phenomenon was growing, everything pointed to something in the environment,” explained Alain Frieh, President of the Union of Beekeepers of Ribeauville, Alsace
All the clues led to a nearby biogas factory to where swarms had been making regular visits and indulging in a liking for chocolate candy.
On this site waste from a Mars plant producing those bite sized colourful M&M’s is processed. The residue from the containers of the multi coloured sweet proved too tempting.
“We didn’t imagine they would come foraging for these food dyes. Now everything which might attract the bees is directly treated undercover,” said
Philippe Meinrad, Director of a Agrivalo, biogas plant.
The bees and their honey are a vital part of the economy in Alsace. One expert said although the coloured variety did taste like honey it didn’t sell. A temporary sting for the country which is one of the largest producers of honey in the EU.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
- 3Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 4Canada to end bombing campaign against ISIL within two weeks
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
Canada to end bombing campaign against ISIL within two weeks
New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees in camps next to Turkey border
Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
Gusty winds hit Europe – on both sides of the Channel
Wires > News
- 06:13 CET South Korea says working with U.S., Japan on ‘strong’ North Korea…
- 05:54 CET Death of former leader poses potential problems for Nepal
- 05:21 CET Hong Kong riot police fire warning shots in clash with street…
- 05:17 CET PM calls for peace on Haiti’s first day with no president
- 01:17 CET U.S. defence intelligence chief predicts increased ISIS attacks
- 01:11 CET U.S. military seeks to prepare Africa for shifting terror threat
- 00:14 CET Wife of Islamic State leader charged in death of American – …
- 00:00 CET Israel NGO bill, seen as targeting left-wing groups, crosses first…