How do you like your honey? In northern France beekeepers can serve you up a jar in a variety of shades of blue and green.
They have not been dabbling in chemical additives, the coloured honey was a mystery to the beekeepers in the town of Ribeaubeville where over a one thousand tonnes are produced annually.
They mounted an investigation, looked closely at their production methods and of course tracked the activity of their bees.
“We looked at the hives found the phenomenon was growing, everything pointed to something in the environment,” explained Alain Frieh, President of the Union of Beekeepers of Ribeauville, Alsace
All the clues led to a nearby biogas factory to where swarms had been making regular visits and indulging in a liking for chocolate candy.
On this site waste from a Mars plant producing those bite sized colourful M&M’s is processed. The residue from the containers of the multi coloured sweet proved too tempting.
“We didn’t imagine they would come foraging for these food dyes. Now everything which might attract the bees is directly treated undercover,” said
Philippe Meinrad, Director of a Agrivalo, biogas plant.
The bees and their honey are a vital part of the economy in Alsace. One expert said although the coloured variety did taste like honey it didn’t sell. A temporary sting for the country which is one of the largest producers of honey in the EU.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Twelve injured as huge storm lashes Australian city of Brisbane
- 2Heartbroken dog waits in vain for its dead owner in Russia
- 3Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage?
- 4Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 5Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 3Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 4Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 5Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:02 CET Army brigadier general shot dead in Cairo suburb – sources
- 12:44 CET Finland votes to legalise same-sex marriage
- 12:42 CET Japan military chief urges early ‘crisis management’ pact with…
- 12:28 CET NATO unconcerned by Russian warships in English Channel
- 12:26 CET Czechs raise security after ministers get poison by mail
- 12:24 CET Exclusive – Indian Essar’s planned oil-for-steel deal tests Iran…
- 12:22 CET France to recognise Palestinian state if peace efforts fail
- 12:14 CET China rebukes Turkey for offer to shelter Uighur refugees