05/10/12 00:23 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Turkey’s prime minister says his country has no intention of going to war with Syria, as protesters worried about an escalation of the cross-border violence marched through Ankara and Istanbul.
In the capital there were some clashes between protesters and police.
Turkey has attacked targets in Syria after a mortar bomb fired from Syrian territory struck a Turkish border town.
Parliament approved further possible military action outside Turkey’s borders.
However the prime minister said the aim of the move was to deter further attacks, warning that his country’s determination should not be tested.
“We only want peace and security in our region. This is what we care about. We have no intention of war,” Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said.
Turkey had already increased its military presence along the border after previous shelling from the Syrian side.
The military response has been backed by the US which said Turkey was trying to protect its sovereignty. The UN Secretary General expressed alarm at the escalating tension and called for maximum restraint.
In Akcakale on the Turkish-Syrian border the funerals have taken place of those killed by the Syrian shell.
A mother, her sister and her three children died. At least 10 others were injured.
The attack has heightened a sense of insecurity and sparked international concern over a possible escalation of the conflict.
- 1How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 5Muslims in Russian Federation, under police pressure (some) enlist with ISIL
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
US: man arrested after jumping White House fence
Probe opens into murder of Venezuelan opposition leader
Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
Wires > News
- 06:59 CET Allegations of plot against Thai government unfounded – opposition
- 06:49 CET China air force again holds drills in Western Pacific
- 05:59 CET Indonesia raises concerns over Australia’s handling of asylum…
- 05:37 CET Chinese rights activist jailed for six years
- 05:21 CET China’s army to get more prominent role in military reform
- 03:15 CET Panama canal expansion could suffer new delay – spokesman
- 23:55 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 22:01 CET Turkey arrests two journalists on terrorism charges – CNN Turk