03/10/12 00:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Italian archaeologists searching for the remains of the real-life Mona Lisa have found two more skeletons.
The two bodies were found under the basement of a former convent in Florence on Tuesday.
The team believes Lisa Gherardini, said to be the model in Leonardo Da Vinci’s famous piece, is buried there.
“If everything goes as planned, we will find Gherardini and with her skull we will be able to reconstruct her face thanks to sophisticated, new technology,” said Silvano Vinceti, the head of the National Committee for The Promotion of Historic and Cultural Heritage.
A total of seven skeletons have been discovered since the excavation began in April.
Even if the latest find turns out not to be the Mona Lisa, researchers have vowed to keep digging.
The oil portait is believed to have been painted by Da Vinci between 1503 and 1506.
It is currently kept at the Louvre museum in Paris.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5Protests against France’s labour reforms spread across the country with transport targeted
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
French union blockades spark petrol shortages
Wires > News
- 07:55 CET French police clear refinery blockade with water cannon, tear gas…
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade
- 01:20 CET Canadian-Iranian citizen sentenced in U.S. for violating Iran…
- 23:03 CET Honduran family seeks dismissal of U.S. money laundering case
- 22:49 CET Taliban planned new attacks on U.S. targets in Kabul – …