03/10/12 00:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Italian archaeologists searching for the remains of the real-life Mona Lisa have found two more skeletons.
The two bodies were found under the basement of a former convent in Florence on Tuesday.
The team believes Lisa Gherardini, said to be the model in Leonardo Da Vinci’s famous piece, is buried there.
“If everything goes as planned, we will find Gherardini and with her skull we will be able to reconstruct her face thanks to sophisticated, new technology,” said Silvano Vinceti, the head of the National Committee for The Promotion of Historic and Cultural Heritage.
A total of seven skeletons have been discovered since the excavation began in April.
Even if the latest find turns out not to be the Mona Lisa, researchers have vowed to keep digging.
The oil portait is believed to have been painted by Da Vinci between 1503 and 1506.
It is currently kept at the Louvre museum in Paris.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
End of May Hong Kong sale to feature world’s biggest green diamond
Papa Wemba buried in Kinshasa
Israeli authorities discuss a halt on returning attackers’ bodies
Wires > News
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:36 CET Russia’s FSB says arrests group planning attack in Moscow region -…
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 17:33 CET Russia warns of retaliation if NATO makes more deployments in…
- 17:25 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen poses growing threat to shipping – naval force