Italian archaeologists searching for the remains of the real-life Mona Lisa have found two more skeletons.
The two bodies were found under the basement of a former convent in Florence on Tuesday.
The team believes Lisa Gherardini, said to be the model in Leonardo Da Vinci’s famous piece, is buried there.
“If everything goes as planned, we will find Gherardini and with her skull we will be able to reconstruct her face thanks to sophisticated, new technology,” said Silvano Vinceti, the head of the National Committee for The Promotion of Historic and Cultural Heritage.
A total of seven skeletons have been discovered since the excavation began in April.
Even if the latest find turns out not to be the Mona Lisa, researchers have vowed to keep digging.
The oil portait is believed to have been painted by Da Vinci between 1503 and 1506.
It is currently kept at the Louvre museum in Paris.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:25 CET ECB worried by Slovene lawmakers’ push for more central bank…
- 13:03 CET Norway’s minority government tries to shore up fragile alliance
- 13:00 CET Three dead as Kiev accuses Ukraine rebels of shelling
- 12:50 CET U.N.-Cambodia tribunal charges two more ex-Khmer Rouge cadres
- 12:45 CET Magnitude 6.4 quake strikes off Indonesia, no reports of damage
- 12:27 CET Rival to Burundi’s president escapes from jail – ministry
- 12:15 CET Tanzania president pledges crackdown on albino killings
- 11:45 CET Volcano Villarrica erupts in southern Chile, villages evacuated