Italian archaeologists searching for the remains of the real-life Mona Lisa have found two more skeletons.
The two bodies were found under the basement of a former convent in Florence on Tuesday.
The team believes Lisa Gherardini, said to be the model in Leonardo Da Vinci’s famous piece, is buried there.
“If everything goes as planned, we will find Gherardini and with her skull we will be able to reconstruct her face thanks to sophisticated, new technology,” said Silvano Vinceti, the head of the National Committee for The Promotion of Historic and Cultural Heritage.
A total of seven skeletons have been discovered since the excavation began in April.
Even if the latest find turns out not to be the Mona Lisa, researchers have vowed to keep digging.
The oil portait is believed to have been painted by Da Vinci between 1503 and 1506.
It is currently kept at the Louvre museum in Paris.
- 1Istanbul: prosecutor held hostage dies after shootout
- 2German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz, as new video emerges
- 3Iran nuclear talks continue beyond a midnight deadline as the search for a deal goes on
- 4Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 5“I hope I never return to a locked door”: Pilot who foresaw Germanwings crash
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:47 CET Malaysia rejects jailed opposition leader’s petition for royal…
- 02:01 CET Gambia convicts six over failed plot to topple Jammeh
- 00:52 CET Iraqi forces drive Islamic State out of central Tikrit – PM
- 23:36 CET Lufthansa flight school knew of crash pilot’s depression
- 23:24 CET Morocco court jails investigative reporter on adultery charges
- 22:53 CET Chad, Niger troops retake Nigeria border town from Boko Haram
- 22:17 CET Prosecutor dies of wounds after Istanbul hostage shootout
- 21:38 CET Hurricane-strength winds pummel Europe, four killed