Iran’s currency has reportedly fallen to a record low against the US dollar.
There are now 35 thousand rials to the dollar, according to agency reports. This means the currency has lost around 80 percent of its value since the end of 2011.
Experts say this suggests the economic sanctions imposed on Iran over its controversial nuclear programme are impacting economic activity.
Iran says its nuclear policy is for peaceful, civil purposes, but the major powers are not convinced.
Many think that Tehran is trying to build an atomic bomb.
It is suspected this latest slide is the result of a government decision to supply dollars to importers of certain basic commodities at a special rate.
This should have pegged the slide but instead seems to have had the opposite effect.
The US sanctions, which are backed by the EU, include a ban on the trade of Iranian oil.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army