Iran’s president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that his country can overcome its currency crisis as the rial fell to new record lows against the US dollar.
Ahmadinejad blamed market speculators for the steep drop, while claiming that Western sanctions are having a limited impact.
“They have managed to reduce a part of our oil sales but hopefully we will compensate for this,” he told a press conference in Tehran.
“Everyone knows that foreign trade and commerce does not have a great role in Iranian commerce, but this is being used as a great psychological war, the effects of which are high in the markets.”
The rial has lost two-thirds of its value since June last year after the US and its allies tightened sanctions aimed at stopping Iran’s nuclear programme.
Measures include a ban on buying Iranian oil.
The US has also vowed to pursue any foreign firms or institutions that deal with the Iranian central bank.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 4Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 5Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
More Stock Exchange losses in Greece as banking shares plunge
Yemen conflict: Hadi loyalists seize largest military base from Houthis
Pakistan hangs ‘teen’ convict despite protests from rights groups
ASEAN foreign ministers set to discuss South China Sea tensions
Nearly 1.5 million counterfeit cigarettes seized in Poland
Wires > News
- 11:33 CET Russia calls for international cooperation to fight Islamic State
- 11:28 CET Four killed in Macedonia floods
- 10:59 CET Philippines to raise South China Sea despite Beijing’s reluctance
- 10:43 CET China’s First Heavy chairman commits suicide amid anti-graft probe…
- 09:59 CET UK extends Iraqi air campaign against Islamic State until March…
- 08:52 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 08:49 CET Good progress made on Pacific trade deal despite talks failure -…
- 08:47 CET Returning Uighurs attacked Thai, Chinese police, China says