02/10/12 18:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Iran’s president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that his country can overcome its currency crisis as the rial fell to new record lows against the US dollar.
Ahmadinejad blamed market speculators for the steep drop, while claiming that Western sanctions are having a limited impact.
“They have managed to reduce a part of our oil sales but hopefully we will compensate for this,” he told a press conference in Tehran.
“Everyone knows that foreign trade and commerce does not have a great role in Iranian commerce, but this is being used as a great psychological war, the effects of which are high in the markets.”
The rial has lost two-thirds of its value since June last year after the US and its allies tightened sanctions aimed at stopping Iran’s nuclear programme.
Measures include a ban on buying Iranian oil.
The US has also vowed to pursue any foreign firms or institutions that deal with the Iranian central bank.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
France PM Valls hints at tweaks to labour laws as strikes and protests go on
French police arrest man on low-level terror watch list
Dutch court agrees extradition of French terror suspect
Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
Wires > News
- 20:01 CET Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro football disruption
- 19:48 CET U.N. panel rejects press freedom watchdog accreditation request
- 19:40 CET Son of Equatorial Guinea leader may face French corruption trial
- 19:21 CET Italian mayor breaks with PM’s party over lack of help for migrants
- 18:59 CET Egypt rights activist says banned from travel
- 18:28 CET Australian family facing deportation highlights UK immigration…
- 18:16 CET Trump, Le Pen, Brexiteer Johnson dubbed a ‘horror’ show as …
- 17:38 CET Afghanistan sees Taliban leader as rigid conservative uninterested…