Ikea shoppers in Saudia Arabia may have noticed something unusual about the Swedish furniture giant’s latest catalogue.
All the women photographed for the brochure have been airbrushed out of the Saudi version.
Women are segregated from men in the country and required to cover up in public.
Ikea took the decision to respect those cultural standards.
The company has since issued a statement saying it regrets deleting women from its brochure.
It said: “We should have reacted and realised that excluding women from the Saudi Arabian version of the catalogue conflicts with IKEA Group values.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:57 CET Juncker’s EU team members get parliamentary approval
- 11:52 CET Think tank says political uncertainty slowing investment in Greece
- 11:40 CET Japan PM’s woes may not end despite resignations of two ministers
- 11:12 CET Hong Kong leader says room for more democracy in panel that…
- 11:09 CET Ukraine vote candidate survives gun and grenade attack – party
- 10:53 CET Russian Energy Minister says hope for gas deal with Ukraine on…
- 10:02 CET U.S. urges Japan to be ‘bold’ in Pacific trade pact talks
- 09:54 CET Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough