Australia’s central bank has cut its benchmark interest rate by a quarter of a percentage point.
It is now at the lowest level in three years – at 3.25 percent.
The move to lower the cost of borrowing and stimulate the resource-rich economy comes in response to a slowdown in China – which is the country’s biggest export market – and a high rate of exchange for Australia’s currency.
The Australian dollar immediately fell against the US dollar.
Economists expect a further cut to 3.0 percent by the end of the year.
“I think they have done the right thing,” said Shane Oliver, head of investment strategy at AMP Capital Investors. “The global economy is looking a bit shaky.”
“We are looking to another 0.25 percent cut in November, and then another one in February or March next year, taking the cash rate to 2.75 percent.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 14:29 CET Russia puts losses from sanctions, cheaper oil at up to $140…
- 14:05 CET Frontier Airlines orders nine airbus A321ceo aircraft
- 13:58 CET Carlyle seeking $5 billion for fund with longer life – Bloomberg
- 13:15 CET FTSE rally pauses near two-month high as Petrofac slump weighs
- 13:05 CET Bank of England mulls tougher capital rules for clearing houses
- 12:57 CET French, British banks press EU to revise bank reform plans
- 12:42 CET Hulamin buys BHP’s South Africa aluminium casthouse
- 12:29 CET French, British banks press EU to revise bank reform plans