Unemployment in the eurozone remained becalmed at a record 11.4% in August while manufacturing put in its worst quarterly performance in Q3 since the great depression.
The Markit survey also indicated that after factory output stumbled in the peripheral countries, that trend has now spread to France and Germany.
It all points to the eurozone sliding back into recession. In fact many economists are now convinced that recession is upon us, and will be confirmed when all the figures from Q3 are in.
The Manufacturing Purchasing Manager’s Index showed that while industries cut their prices for a fourth straight month, inflation also rose more than expected in September. This may discourage the ECB from a widely-forecast new cut in interest rates before the end of the year to a record low of half a percent.
Data for France showed the PMI there recording its biggest fall since the index began 14 years ago.
Unemployment rate in Europe August 2012/ * Latest available
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
latest economy news
Volkswagen emissions scandal delays 2015 financial results and shareholders’ meeting
Toyota in optimistic mood over China and US
US jobs growth weaker but steady in January – up by 151,000
ECB’s Draghi: We have to aggressively fight ultra-low inflation
Royal Dutch Shell is latest to have profit hammered by low oil prices
Wires > Business
- 23:04 CET New Jersey sues VW over excess diesel emissions
- 22:12 CET 1957 Ferrari racing car sold at auction for record $35.6 million
- 21:46 CET Eurosytem financial assets grew by 5 percent per year since 2002 -…
- 21:36 CET Burberry, Tom Ford align runway shows with retail availability
- 21:34 CET Rothesay Life in talks to buy Aegon’s UK annuity book – source
- 21:32 CET Exclusive – Obama to propose $2.5 billion tax credit for community…
- 20:41 CET U.S. labor market on solid ground as jobless rate hits eight-year…
- 20:17 CET Billionaire Platt’s BlueCrest under SEC probe over employee fund -…