Unemployment in the eurozone remained becalmed at a record 11.4% in August while manufacturing put in its worst quarterly performance in Q3 since the great depression.
The Markit survey also indicated that after factory output stumbled in the peripheral countries, that trend has now spread to France and Germany.
It all points to the eurozone sliding back into recession. In fact many economists are now convinced that recession is upon us, and will be confirmed when all the figures from Q3 are in.
The Manufacturing Purchasing Manager’s Index showed that while industries cut their prices for a fourth straight month, inflation also rose more than expected in September. This may discourage the ECB from a widely-forecast new cut in interest rates before the end of the year to a record low of half a percent.
Data for France showed the PMI there recording its biggest fall since the index began 14 years ago.
Unemployment rate in Europe August 2012/ * Latest available
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 02:23 CET EU executive to broadly keep EU’s 2015 growth forecast
- 02:22 CET Wall St. banks shift odds on rate hike to year-end
- 02:17 CET Nomura, RBS liability in U.S. mortgage bond case upped to $839…
- 01:46 CET IMF official warms to interim deal to boost emerging markets role
- 23:23 CET Gazprom seals big gas deals in Europe despite Ukraine crisis
- 22:19 CET U.S. labour market shows some muscle despite slower job growth
- 22:08 CET G20 promises transparency on rate moves as global economy…
- 21:12 CET China tells G20 it’s committed to structural reforms, growth -…